Pages

Thursday, 12 September 2013

Baking Rhubarb & Ginger Crumble Sponge

Blueberry Crumble Sponge
I'm loving getting back into the kitchen and baking, currently the bread maker has been dusted off and the smell of fresh baking bread is permeating the house, lovely! Following the Slimming World diet means that baking is something that I had to give up, but boy have a missed it, I love making cakes, pies, puddings and making bread, but they're all the things that turn you into a lard ass, okay turn me into a lard ass ;)

When I'm in the kitchen doing the things my Mum taught me to do, I get all smiley. Like the day before last, there I stood with my hands gently manipulating dough for dumplings to go with the stew I was making, and I was transported back to my Mum's kitchen and I felt so satisfied and well... happy, and part of me felt like my Mum was still here. In a way she was, what I was doing was a direct result of what she taught me, I don't get that when making low fat, modern day stuff.

The baking bug came back a few weekends ago when I had to make some puddings to take to a family party, I made the sponge in the photo above and a Rhubarb & Ginger version which went down a storm :) Back at home my hubby has requested that I make some of his favourite oaty biscuits and some choc chip muffins. Who am I to argue? I'm beginning to think that life's too short to deny yourself all these tasty treats, so have decided I still want to lose weight but if the journey was going to take 1 year, I'm going to have little indulgences and take the scenic route to slimming, I'll still lose weight, just not as fast as not having cake etc.

Rhubarb & Ginger Crumble Sponge

For the Cake
  • 250g Butter, softened
  • 250g Caster Sugar
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 4 large eggs
  • Milk (to adjust consistency, if needed)
  • 250g Plain flour
  • 2 Tsp baking powder
  • 1 Tsp Ground Ginger
  • 2 Pieces Stem Ginger, finely chopped
  • 6-8 Rhubarb stems (depending on length), washed, trimmed and sliced
For the crumble
  • 7 Tbsp Plain Flour
  • 4 Tbsp Castor Sugar
  • 4 Tbsp Butter
  1. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and grease and line the base of a deepish 20cm x 30cm baking dish, I used a lasagne dish!

  2. Put the cake mix quantities of butter, sugar and vanilla extract into a big mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy, if you're lazy or short of time you can use an electric whisk.
  3. Beat in the eggs, one by one, then gently fold in the flour, ground ginger and baking powder, if the mix is too stiff, add a little milk to make the cake batter more liquid.
  4.  Pour the cake batter into your baking dish and sprinkle on the rhubarb and chopped stem ginger and put to one side whilst you make the crumble.
  5. Make the crumble topping by mixing together the crumble quantities of flour, sugar and butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs, when ready sprinkle on top of the fruit and sponge layers. Bake for 1 hr 15 mins, until a skewer poked in comes out clean – you’ll need to lay a sheet of foil on top after an hour if the cake is browning too much.
Allow to cool, cut into slices and serve with cream, custard or ice cream. Alternatively serve warm.

You can ring the changes, the photo above shows a Blueberry & Raspberry version, I used frozen fruit and instead of the ginger I used almond essence in the cake mix. It was rather tasty, in essence you can use any fruit/spice/flavouring combination you like. Try apples, cinnamon and chopped bits of fudge it makes a gorgeous toffee apple version!

1 comment:

  1. I would never of thought of putting ginger with rhubarb it sounds yummy and I will try it.
    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x