Pages

Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Variations On A Theme Using Toppers

As I'm new to card making I'm mostly playing with toppers to make my Christmas cards for friends and family this year, as this is the first year I've made cards I'm not very skilled using rubber stamps and some of the fantastic techniques I've seen on the internet and in magazines. Along with die-cuts and paper pads which have featured in some of my cards, toppers are so easy to use. Plus I love how you can take a basic set of items and depending on card colour, texture and the additional items you choose as accents you can get a whole range of themed cards from one topper sheet, no two cards are ever the same, unless that is you want them to be! The above three cards are made using a topper from Foilplay, its called Mr & Mrs Snowman and is a Kanban design, I love the colours and the gold foil decoration really sets the topper off don't you think?


The cute teddy cards above are made with a Hunkydory design, this one called 'Sending Love at Christmas', and was another foilplay purchase, in fact all the cards in this post are made with toppers that I got from foilplay. These cards were really easy to put together, after I'd embossed the card, all I had to do was attach the topper then I added a few stick on gem stones for some added bling.


The house cards come from another Kanban sheet called 'Christmas Country Houses' it's a little hard to tell from the photo but the landscape card is a decoupage, the topper sheet has enough items to make 1 decoupage card and 2 other cards like the purple one above. I had a scrap of adhesive fuchsia pink ribbon left, but it wasn't long enough for the length of the card, but I wanted to use it, so it occured to me to use the 3 little snowflake circles from the topper sheet left over to disguise the fact that the ribbon wasn't long enough, each snowflake circle has a sparklie gem stone in the centre which was the finishing touch and I think it came out rather well :)

My final card selection is another Kanban topper from foilplay, this one called 'Christmas Fairy Wishes', I have to say I really love this design, one of the cards is going to my niece for Christmas, although I'm not saying which one ;) The topper sheet contains five toppers and was an amazing 99p, an absolute bargain and its made some really pretty cards, with two more to go.

The cards in the photos above bring my card total so far to 43, so I have 21 cards left to make to achieve my target, if I'm honest I didn't think I'd make it, but I have so many toppers and ideas I do believe that I'll exceed my total. Some cards will go to next years stash, others will go to my local Cats Protection to help them raise funds.

I already subscribe to Quick Cards magazine, and this weekend I treated myself to a subscription to  Papercraft Essentials because they were giving away a 10 piece Joanna Sheen Signature Die-Cut Collection which has owls, lacy borders, flowers and butterflies, when you subscribe. All elements that will make excellent items to add to future cards. My xmas craft card making stash is pretty well stocked, and I'm already looking for ideas for birthdays and other celebrations to make cards for friends and family as birthday and non-christmas events are a bot thin on the ground.

I was also lucky this weekend to pick up a copy of Issue 73 of Creative Cardmaking for £2.50 RRP £4.99, it came free with 24 silver foiled toppers and a paper stack with some of the papers also foiled. I think they will be used in some of tomorrow's creations, although I still have lots of kanban toppers I want to play with. Problem is I'm falling in love with my creations, hence taking photos, if I don't I'm not sure I'll be giving them away. I did give one card to one of my oldest friends and she loved it, which has given me courage, because I was really worried about giving homemade cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x