Pages

Wednesday, 14 January 2015

Cards For Herbaholic's


One of my greatest passions in life is the love of herbs and their uses, I was bitten by the herbal bug in my 20's and over 30 years on I am still fascinated by them and love using them in a myriad of ways, so much so that I'm lovingly referred to, by myself and my friends as a herbaholic, guilty as charged!

I have a fair few friends who share my herbal passion and I'd love to be able to send them herb themed cards and gifts. So imagine my delight when I came across a CD full of floral images with a whole section on herbs! By chance I found a double CD set of designs by Jane Shasky called 'From The Heart of The Garden' and the herbal designs are enchanting, as well as toppers and sentiments there are ideas for complete stationary sets, bookmarks and decoupage projects. I've already printed out two of the notelet cards from two of the stationary sets, as you can see in the photo above. My plan is to make some pretty herb decorated boxes and make sets of notelet cards that will be herbally scented for presents for some of my herby friends for Xmas 2016.


Back in November I found a set of three herb die cuts by Spellbinder going cheap on Amazon, and I'm looking forward to playing with them over the next few weeks. The die-cuts aren't very big, the 'pots' stand just 3.5cm high, so with the herbs in they're be approximately 9cm in height, but I think they'll look pretty on some of the backing papers from the 'Herb Garden' set from my CD. I also plan this year to press herbs like lavender from the garden and use them to decorate cards and bookmarks.


Above are three examples of cards made using the 'From the Heart of the Garden' CD, also embellishments that I'd cut out using my die cutters. The background paper on the borage happy birthday card is a scan of one of the borage pages from Gerard's Herbal, not an actual page, I'm not that daft lol! I think it worked really well and I'm already planning a series of cards using pages from old herbals as backgrounds. I'm also going to use some old botanical prints and some herbal photos that I've taken myself. I'm looking forward to the next batch of cards which I've already begun to cut bits out for and work on the designs, combining herbs with card making is like getting a double dose of stress reducing goodness. Now where did I put the sticky foam pads....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x