Pages

Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Ditching Dairy - It Can Be In ANYTHING!

I posted yesterday about our endeavour to drop dairy and wheat from our diet but we've had a change of plan. After chatting to my hubby last night we've decided that first we want to eliminate dairy from our diets to see what results we get, as both he and I have issues that could be caused by dairy or wheat (gluten), the only way to find out is to remove one potential cause. If it doesn't change then remove the other potential cause. Our logic is if we remove both at the same time, we won't know if its one, the other, or both causing the problem.

Long term we want to ditch dairy for the health reasons, let the little calves keep their mums milk, so no matter whether the outcome is dairy isn't the culprit for us, its going for ethical reasons amongst others. Sadly however we've discovered that no matter what we do, currently at least, we can't give up dairy completely. Hubby and I both have thyroid problems, and in the ingredients lactose - a milk sugar - is the first on the list :( Never in a million years would I have thought it would be in a medication I have to take everyday of my life! It was only by embarking on a "check everything" plan of attack that I discovered it. I'm not sure if the same applies to USA levothyroxine but it certainly does in the UK, more information can be found here at Thyroid UK. There are apparently lactose free thyroid hormones available but we'd need to have some proof of lactose intolerance to give the GP to try and get him to prescribe them. :(

The ditching dairy plan turned in to a rather depressing event last night, we decided to go through the cupboards and look for dairy products and foods that don't contain dairy, but we found hidden dairy in so many things we wouldn't have believed! Actually last night was an eye opener by way of a chemistry lesson. As we went through the cupboards we were amazed at how many foods contained some chemical we didn't know and when we looked them up, we were appalled!

For example I was fond of Knorr Chicken Noodle Soup, I've eaten it since I was a child, but when I looked at the packet... 

"Pasta (65%) (Durum Wheat Semolina, Wheat Semolina), Potato Starch, Salt, Lower Sodium Natural Mineral Salt*, Flavourings (contains Celery), Yeast Extract, Chicken (3.3%), Toasted Onion Powder (1.7%), Vegetable Fat, Sugar, Chicken Fat (1%), Spices (Celery Seed, Turmeric, Pepper), Parsley, Antioxidants (Alpha-Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate), *Contains naturally occurring Potassium"

Apart from a couple of chemicals all seemed okay until you get to the allergens section on the packet and it says: -
  • Contains traces of milk and egg
  • Contains: Eggs, Milk
Grrrrr! Although it didn't divulge where the milk and egg was! So as we're trying to eliminate dairy, Knorr chicken noodle soup had to go, which left me with a problem at lunchtime today, its cold and I wanted chicken noodle soup for lunch! If packet soup was out, then I'd have to find my own version and I did that rather well I think. My homemade Chicken Noodle Soup had chicken stock, granted made from Organic Kallo Chicken Stock cubes, which is cheating I know but it was an exercise is speed cooking, I didn't have time to make stock from scratch.

So to break it down, my soup had tiny Pasta shapes, Chicken Stock, Dried Mixed Vegetables, Finely sliced Chicken Breast, then good shakes of mild chilli powder, ground ginger, garlic granules, ground coriander, ground cumin and a little malvern sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper. I put it all in the pan with some water, brought it to the boil and left it to simmer whilst I did 2 minutes on the cross trainer, and the result was a very tasty soup, which may even be better than Knorr! Enough for tomorrow's lunch as well! I served it with Organic Chia Seed & Oat Crispbreads spread with dairy free sunflower spread and a sliced apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x