Pages

Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Gluten and Dairy Free Cookery Books

Changing what we eat has meant rethinking lots of things, so I started to look at books that could help, the problem was its looking like the hubby needs to avoid dairy and I need to avoid wheat, there are plenty of gluten free cookery books out there but they use dairy products, yes I can substitute dairy free milk, fats and cheese but its hard enough juggling with new flours that work in a wholly different way than I'm used to. They do have some lovely recipes in though and I will be trying but I figured it would be a lot easier if I could find some books that dealt with gluten and dairy free in one go.


I've picked up three, I'll blog about each of them over the next couple of weeks and any recipes we try. The first book is written by Pippa Kendrick and is called 'Free-From Food For Family & Friends' the recipes are all free from gluten, dairy and eggs. Tonight we cooked our first of many recipes from it that we have ear marked to try, the hubby even tackled making dairy free pesto and did a rather damn fine job if I do say so. The first recipe we selected was Salmon, New Potato & Pea Salad with Mint Pesto Dressing, I was a tad suspicious of this recipe because there was no parmesan for the pesto and I've never made pesto with mint before, but it came out really rather well. The hubby is now hooked on using the pestle and mortar so we're going to have a go at making basil pesto with some yeast flakes to add a cheesy twist and have it with gluten free pasta and chicken.


The photo doesn't do it justice, it was really tasty, I admit to doing a few things differently to the recipe, Kendrick's calls for putting the peas in boiling water for a few minutes, I cooked mine in a pan. Also the original recipe called for hot smoked salmon, not something easy to find near me so I cooked a couple of salmon fillets in the oven having first dusted them with some smoked paprika, best I could do. I also only added 2 tablespoons of olive oil and not the 4 the recipe called for, 2 was plenty. The recipe was to serve 4 for a light meal or 2 for a main meal and there was plenty to fill us up nicely, but not too full, left room for the dairy free lemon curd sponge that the hubby helped make yesterday, yum!

The book has a good selection of baked goodies, in fact after breakfast suggestions, come suggestions for elevenses and that section has recipes for Brown Sugar Oat Biscuits, Chocolate Banana Bread, Lemon Shortbread and Strawberry Cream Cupcakes all on our list to try over the next few weeks. I can't wait to have a go at making the Garlic & Herb Cashew Cream Cheese, because I have a feeling that can become a replacement for crème fraîche for my Tarte flambée :)

This week we're planning on trying the Chilli Con Carne recipe from the book accompanied by corn bread, the Creamy Chicken Curry and the Sweet Potato & Onion Bhaji Bites are on the menu for our friday night curry night, and we're also going to try the Fish Pie recipe, and that's just for starters. The good thing about this book is its written by a UK based cook, who actually has allergies and most ingredients can be easily found in the UK. I also like the fact that she defined fresh herbs, when a recipe calls for a small bunch of say mint you need about 7g and when it calls for a large bunch it needs about 15g. So far I'm impressed and I'm looking forward to trying more of her recipes, if the first was anything to go by it'll be easy and delicious, although I suspect things will still get tweaked and ingredients swapped, increased or reduced, its the way I roll in my kitchen lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x