Pages

Saturday, 7 March 2015

Crafty Bargains, Ideas and Inspiration

The postman brought me a new set of stamps today, these are rubber background stamps which I intend to use for embossing and for creating pearlescent effect backgrounds for cards. They were a bargain from Craft Clearance, I've ordered from them a few times before but I'm always amazed at how speedily they get your order to you. I ordered at 18:30 on Wednesday evening and my order arrived at 11am today (Friday), super speedy or what? The stamps are all around 4.5" x 5.75" with really deep patterns on them, I'm looking forward to playing with them this weekend, they're made by an American copy called JustRite who seem to have a really good range, that I can see myself acquiring more of over the next 12 months!

Remember the gold embossed card I wrote about last weekend and said I didn't have an idea what to put on it at the time? Well a little more inspiration hit me this afternoon and I played with some die cuts and alcohol markers and added some sticky gems and made the above topper. The cards not finished yet, I'm waiting for some mirror gold embossing powder to arrive so that I can add the sentiment, but its getting there :)

I've actually blown my monthly allowance this month on card making stuff, but I don't care, I'm becoming more engrossed in the hobby and I really can't wait to get on making things with all the ideas I've had, I'm learning new techniques all the time and experimenting. Tonight I made my first attempt at distressing the edges of a topper using ink. I used a pigment ink pad because my distress ink pads still haven't arrived, so the ink was a little thicker than I think it should be. But I think for a first attempt it 'smooshed' really well and I can't believe the difference it made to the edge of the die cut shape.


I was testing out inks earlier and stamping sentiments, I have lots of the 'Pretty Color' pigment ink stamp pads, they were in my craft stash leftover from the years when all I did was collect card-making stuff, because I was scared that I'd mess things up, sometimes I do and sometimes things work out really well :) I was looking for the right words for my card, its a thank you card for a friend, I found it on one of the stamp sets by Clearly Besotted that came free with Simply Cards & Papercraft issue 133. I tried using the Pretty Colour inks, but figured that I was just rubbish at stamping because none of them worked, they were smudged, smeared or didn't have enough ink on them.

I started to beat myself up and told myself that actually I was pretty rubbish at this stamping lark and I decided it would be better to go down the printed sentiment on the computer route, when I remembered I had a last month bought a 'Memento' ink pad in Tuxedo Black. Some of the YouTube tutorials and blogs I've looked at recently recommended this kind of ink for stamping, so I cleaned the 'Pretty Color' ink off the stamp pad, dried it off and inked up with the Memento. You can see the results in the photo above, crisp, clear and well perfect if I do say so myself :) I did some more ink 'smooshing' and finished it off with a couple of sprays of Perfect Pearls Mist in Heirloom Gold. This test was on a piece of ordinary printer paper, so its not being used, although it could be :)

Suffice to say over the next few months I'll be adding a selection of Memento inks to my stash in an array of colours that I'll use often and a couple of other high quality inks. I also need to take in to account the type of paper I'm using and make sure I match it with the ink I choose to use. I'm still waiting for some fairy die-cuts, more embossing powders, some blending tools, satin effect printer paper, a bargain 'Everyday in Mulberry Wood' CD of cute characters I can print out on the computer to make toppers, card stock designed for alcohol markers, a 5" x 7" acrylic stamping block and of course the distress inks to arrive. Once that little lot gets here there will be no stopping me, I'm sure there will be some mishaps and good ideas that go badly wrong, but I can't wait to get stuck in. The CD was reduced from £15 to £4.75 at Crafters Companion and as I'm trying to build up my digital crafting source material it was a good item to add.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x