Pages

Sunday, 8 March 2015

Glittery Butterfly


Hubby took me to "The Range" this morning, to pick up some gold ribbon for the gold owl card I've been working on all week. I've been a bit stressed out for a little while and I find that card making helps me to relax and it smooths away the edges, and the stress levels become able to cope with. I wandered over to the craft aisles and there was a lady sat at a table doing a card making demo for some of the new Docrafts range for spring.

To say I came away inspired is an understatement, I also came away with more card making goodies, but we'll move swiftly on for now lol! I got chatting to one of the other ladies who was watching the demonstration and we had a chat about rubber stamping and embossing and we swapped email addresses. I have oodles of embossing folders but I'd never thought about embossing the envelopes my cards are going in until Kathleen (the lady doing the demo) mentioned it. She also showed me a technique using two of the same die cut shapes to make die cut shape look like it has a shadow and several other things that I'll be trying soon.

The card above is the result of the demo, I bought the new Xcut 'Floral Filigree Butterfly' die and that's what is used on the card above. I cut it out in some purple glittery card I found in the stash, the butterfly paper is from a  6" x 6" 'Everyday With Barkley' doubled sided pad I got in the January sales. The ribbon I used in the card I made earlier in the week with the free Sheena Douglass Silhouette stamp pad I got free with Quick Cards Made Easy issue 137 (see below).

I just changed things slightly for the glitter butterfly card and layered a piece of spotted lilac ribbon on top of the darker purple stitched ribbon, to make it look a bit different. I picked up a pack of Dovecraft 'Back to Basics III' paper flowers and I used two layered on each other and finished it off with a purple sparkly gemstone. The sentiment is cut using an xcut die from the reverse side of the butterfly backing paper and stamped with a sentiment from the Clearly Besotted stamp set that came free with Simply Cards & Papercraft issue 133.

The edge is the result of the DIY glitter tape adventure I had the other week, I concluded that "The only way I can see the technique working is to lay the tape on the card in situ and add glitter", I was right and it worked like a charm, although I still managed to get glitter everywhere lol! Basically you place your double sided tape where you want your border to be, remove the top paper and add your glitter, I've found that superfine glitter works best. You then rub the glitter into the double sided tape making sure all of it is covered and the texture is as smooth as you can get it. Remove the loose glitter and use a brush to brush away any glitter that isn't supposed to be there. Finally I added a few purple sticky gem stones to the butterfly and the sentiment. I was really pleased with the way this one came out.


The above card I made to test out the freebie stamps mentioned above, I decided to use the flower I made earlier in the week and I think it works rather well. I want to try using some of the other background papers and the stamps and black ink this time with a clear gloss emboss.  When we got back from the Range the postman had delivered my copy of Papercraft Essentials it has some free and very cute 'Riverbank Revels' papers and stamps of some adorable ducks. I wanted to make some Easter cards so these will be useful. I also have to make a birthday card for my young nephew and start thinking about a 50th birthday card for my hubby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x