Tuesday, 15 September 2015
And So It Begins...
The nights are drawing in and growing colder and we're now in the full swing of autumn, which means its a good time to start thinking about making Christmas cards, last year all the Christmas cards I made for friends and family were done using embossing folders and bought toppers, as you can see from this post written back in December last year. Not that there is anything wrong with using bought toppers, I'll certainly be using more of them this year as I bought lots in the sales in January and a few other topper sets since then.
This year though, now I'm playing with distress inks more and getting better at stamping, I can do a few different types of cards like this one that I made tonight. I embossed a piece of 200gsm white card with my Sheena Douglass 'Ornamental Snowflake' embossing folder and then went over the raised area with Distress Ink in Cracked Pistachio and Spun Sugar, after that I used the white pearlescent misting spray that I made earlier today which blended the colours a little and gave the paper a lovely, frosty sheen.
I cut the panel to size and inked the edges lightly with Spun Sugar and attached a piece of pink organza ribbon to the panel. The sentiment came free with an embossing folder in a recent issue of Quick Cards and I've been meaning to use it since I got back off holiday. So tonight I gave it a go, I stamped the sentiment on the same white card I used for the embossed panel using iZink Metal Green pigment ink. I've had problems getting metallic inks to dry without smudging so to seal this one I applied clear embossing powder and which raised the design slightly, but more importantly sealed the coloured ink in.
I mounted the sentiment on silver card, after first rounding the corners and finished it off with some small bluey-green adhesive gemstones from my stash. I made a bow from the same organza ribbon and glued to the ribbon on the panel. When I first put the panel on the white card it was too stark, so I used the Spun Sugar distress ink to colour the edge of the card, blending it to a soft sheen using my white pearlescent misting spray, once dry I attached the panel and the card was finished, I want to try doing this for a variety of colours, but for a couple of simple elements I think it looks pretty effective and I'm rather pleased with the results, I need to knuckle down though I have 125 cards left to make lol!