Pages

Monday, 7 September 2015

Autumn Owl September 2015 Topper Challenge

A few months ago when I first started experimenting with distress inks and water/pearlised mists I made several autumn colour inspired panels, back in early Summer I didn't have a use for them, so the panels went in my 'Maybe Someday' box, a box I keep of die cuts, toppers and panels such as these that don't have an immediate use but may get used one day.

You can see another one of them just below, to create them I used 250gsm water colour paper and a mix of the following shades of distress ink: - Ripe Persimmon, Fired Brick, Spiced Marmalade, Festive Berries and Dried Marigold. I used the method shown in this link posted by over on Craftsy, where my method differs is I pull the paper through the ink more and finish off with pearlised water to give a shimmer to the paper, I do also work round the edge of the paper with one of the darker shades of distress ink which defines the edge and draws the eye in to the middle of the design.


Once the coloured panel is created I can then stamp or emboss, I've shown examples of panels I've worked and embossed in previous posts, for this panel I stamped in Memento Tuxedo Black ink using stamps from the JustRite 'Shabby Chic Leaves' stamp set. I loved the look, the water colour paper adds texture to the panel as well. I've created a couple of panels that I'm going to fussy cut the leaves from to use on a card design, I've also been creating some rich coloured panels and cool frosty iced panels to use on Christmas cards that have been stamped with musical note backgrounds and snowflakes. I just love playing with the water colour effect of these inks, when I first started playing with distress inks I just worked from the craft sheet onto the card or paper, in the early days I didn't realise how well these inks reacted with water.

Back to the topper I made, the owl was die cut from gold foil card using the 'Beautiful Owl' Joanna Sheen Signature Die. The sentiment "Autumn arrives in early morning, but Spring at the close of a Winter day" just seemed so apt, is from the Crafters Companion Wildflower A6 sentiment set and was stamped on to a remnant of a distress dyed piece I did for the Fairy Sunset card I did a while back, I save all my offcuts in a box, you never known when they'll come in useful ;) The sentiment was backed on to a matching piece of gold foil card to tie everything together.

I matted the panel bedecked with the owl on to gold card and attached a small piece of orange ribbon to the panel before sticking it down on a piece of Chestnut Roast pearl card from the Hunkydory Autumn Collection. Each of the toppers layers were rounded using a 10mm Xcut corner rounding punch, the final touch was to add cream adhesive pearls to the owls eyes from my stash to finish off the card. All I have to do now is put the topper together as a card, I have a friend with an Autumn birthday coming up so maybe... I'm waiting for some stamps to arrive from the new Graphic 45 'Rare Oddities' collection to make some Halloween cards for friends, also eager to work with the new Distress ink colour for September from Tim Holtz which is a vivid purple, that for some reason they've called Wilted Violet, its anything but tired and wilted!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Debs....Love the image and such great colours together...Joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debs, lovely to see you in blogland.
    I love this card, especially the colours.
    I have a box like that, in fact several boxes like that, with all stuff that I have created and not found a use for yet :o)
    Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x