Pages

Saturday, 19 September 2015

Cobwebs, Poisons and Spooky Things


As I'm currently on a 3 day week at work, I have Friday and Monday off, these are becoming my crafting days when I can play with new ideas and techniques, although I lost the past few Fridays preparing for a herb tea workshop I gave in the Cotswolds last weekend. This weekend though I have nothing to do bar  a little cleaning so I figured it was time to play!

When I first started card making last October I bought the Sizzix 'Halloween Night' and 'Poison' embossing folders off the internet, when the folders arrived I embossed the poison label on purple card, decided it didn't work for the card I was making and put the folders in the draw, back then I hadn't discovered distress inks and all the cool things you can do with them!  So as its getting round to Halloween and I have a few friends that have parties and enjoy dressing up I thought it was a good excuse to make some cards and play with some stuff I bought last year and this year that I haven't played with yet.


Back in July someone on one of the Docrafts forums posted that Sixxix were having a sale with some things up to 90% off, couldn't be true I thought, but it was! I picked up the Skull Blueprint die and stamp set for £3 saving around £17, I also got the cobweb, acorn and leaf sets as well, but they were put in my die box until after my holidays. Yesterday I got them out to play and also the water brush pens I'd found in France. The skull above and the cobweb panels in the first photo are the results of my first attempt at colouring with a water brush, I used Antique Linen, Pumice Stone and Hickory Smoke inks to colour the skull, it's actually layered in 3 parts but the photo makes it look rather flat. The colouring isn't perfect but then again not bad for a first attempt, I need to get my head around shading a little more, I'll be practicing by making several more skulls and in some lurid shades of orange, purple and lime green for other cards :)

I've been trying to find the Pumpkin blueprint die and stamp set and some of the stamp sets Tim Holtz released in 2013 namely 'The Chemist' and 'Halloween Blueprints 2' but so far I can't find them at a reasonable price in the UK. I confess I'm becoming drawn to a lot of the Tim Holtz Alterations stuff, things like the Bell Jar and Apothecary Bottles appeal to me because they can be given a herbal twist, i also like halloween designs, they bring out the kid in me and I love the colours, its all wrapped up in that Autumn season I adore so much, I'll keep searching for the dies and stamps I want, you never know I may get lucky :)


The above is a close up of what I've done so far with the embossed poison folder, I used a piece of cream card stock which I trimmed to the out border of the folder image and then distressed the edges of the embossed image with my distress tool, then I went over the raised design with Black Soot distress ink before giving it a spritz with my gold metallic misting spray, I inked the distressed edge with black soot and the 'label' was complete. The other label seen in top photo was cut from the same card but the edge left straight and I used Vintage Photo distress ink on the label and the same gold misting spray, both have come out really well, so glad I discovered distress ink :)

I'll add some more photos when I've finished the cards I have in mind using the bits I've made, I'm waiting for some stamps from the Rare Oddities collection to arrive for some other ideas, I love things with poisons and apothecary type things on them, luckily I have friends where these kind of cards can be given all the year round :)

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic projects and looks like you put the bargain dies and folders to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you have made so far, can't wait to see some more spooky makes from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous projects,great designs and colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these Tim Holtz designs, and what you have made with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous spooky projects , love the colours and designs

    hugs Lorna xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous projects and what a bargain the you got with the stamp and die set x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great projects, they've made me feel very autumnal! Amanda x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x