Pages

Friday, 4 September 2015

Falling Leaves of Autumn


It's autumn officially, my favourite time of year :)I can't help it I love the colours and the aromas, its the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness and time to get the nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves out and use them in the kitchen. Spiced Apple Crumble is on the menu this weekend. I've loved the season of autumn since I was a child, something about the crisp autumn air, scrunching through leaves and the riot of beautiful colours makes my inner child smile. One of the Docrafts challenges I entered recently asked for an autumn theme and the card above is what I submitted as my entry.


The card began with an distress ink background piece which was coloured using Scattered Straw, Tea Dye and Vintage Photo inks which were misted with water to merge the colours together, I then added a mist of Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls Mist to add a little shimmer. When the paper was dry, I embossed the panel with an Xcut 6x6 Woodgrain Embossing Folder, once embossed I used an inking tool to gently go over the raised area with Walnut Stain ink, trimmed it to size and then inked the edges.

I was in such an 'autumn's here, hurrah' mood that I got carried away and created another inked piece so I could use Sheena Douglass Leafy Corner Embossing Folder I picked up for just £1. I can see lots more pieces being created using this folder, I inked in diagonal strips using Fossilized Amber, Spiced Marmalade, Rusty Hinge and Ripe Persimmon distress inks, misted and shimmer as above then when dry embossed. After embossing I used Walnut stain on the top and bottom corners and Rusty Hinge in the centre to highlight the leaves. Card yet to be created with this piece but its either going to feature an owl or a red squirrel. If someone had told me 12 months ago that I'd be getting inspired by nature in a whole new way and enjoying creating inky messes I would never have believed it, but enjoy it I do :)


This is another autumn colours card I made a few weeks ago for the Noah's Ark Challenge, you had to use a British Wildlife animal image, and this hedgehog caught my eye. The leaves were printed on the computer, fussy cut and then inked and run over the back of a biro to make them curl slightly. I used the same free background paper because I obviously like it, but I can't for the life of me remember where I got it! It's not all been autumn, this week I've also made a christmas card and a couple of projects using images from my Flights of Fantasy CD, and created some oriental inspired backgrounds for some cards using images from the Kimono collection.

It'll be a Gorjuss weekend this weekend I think, hubby treated me to the new Gorjuss goodie bag from Docrafts today and I can't wait to get stuck in. It's coming up to 12 months since I made my first card, I can't believe how far I've come! Still so much to learn but I can already see a huge difference in the cards I create and since those early days I've discovered I have a passion for colour which over the next few months will be being explored to the fullest. Whatever you do, enjoy your weekend, as well as crafting this weekend, I'm off out for a walk looking for signs of nature donning her autumn clothes.

7 comments:

  1. Wow stunning cards, Love the colours. I too am a fan of autumn, I love the colours on the tress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Found you on DC! Fabulous cards :-)
    Alison59 x

    ReplyDelete
  3. such beautiful set of autumnal cards and atcs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cards, brilliant design and great inking techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous cards, i love the Autumn colours and images

    Lorna x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi your Autumn cards are gorgeous I do love those colours. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x