Pages

Thursday, 10 September 2015

Laugh ATC for September 2015 PIF


This is my second ATC, still very new to this medium but its growing on me, keeping things to 2.5" x 3.5" is a bit of a challenge as all my stamps are bigger than this mostly, but its an excuse to add more items to my ever growing stash :) When I enquired about taking part in the PIF I went in at the deep end, Vicki who runs it added me straight away, no backing out no, must admit I panicked just a little bit, especially when I found out that the word for the challenge was LAUGH!

Instant panic, I only had one sentiment stamp with the word Laugh on and that was attached to Live and Love and was too big for the ATC. My thinking cap went on, this was a challenge after all, so I googled the word laugh and found a little banner that said "When you LOVE and LAUGH you live a beautiful LIFE", it was perfect, but it was too big! Not a problem as I resized it in word.

The banner already had a antique paper look to it, so I decided that I'd give the ATC an antiquey/vintage look to complement it, so I looked through my stash, my first thought was Vintage Photo Distress Ink, I knew I wanted to add some gold accents and subtle sparkle so I got out some Encore Ultimate Metallic ink in Gold, some Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearl Mist and some Mirror Gold embossing powder.

Next to find the background, I have a huge stack of 6" x 6" backing papers on my desk that cover all aspects florals, christmas, birds, botanical etc you get the idea. Leafing through the stacks of papers I settled on one of the floral papers from the Dovecraft 'Curiosity Corner' stack, which you can see in the above image as the background for the ATC.


Once I'd cut my ATC to size - mental note to self, find out if you can buy ATC blanks to cut out this step - I backed the front with a piece of my chosen paper which I glued on with modge podge, then I distressed the edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink, the next step was to lightly distress the edge of the sentiment banner, once both had been distressed I spritzed a little Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls Mist on both pieces and left it to dry. 

I glued the banner in to place and inked up a decorative edge stamp that came free with a card making magazine, although for the life of me I can't remember which one now! I used the Encore Gold ink to stamp the decorative edge, but then I remember how much of a pain I've been finding metallic inks to dry even when I used my heat gun on them.

I decided to sprinkle mirror gold embossing powder on to the stamped design to save any smudges and smears and when heat set the embossing powder added the gold bling I wanted and it wouldn't rub off at the slightest touch. Incidentally I have found that adding a little hairspray to metallic inks that refuse to dry helps, but on some types of paper it can leave a surface mark.

Two final touches for this ATC were running my Clear Star Sakura Gelly Roll pen over the word laugh to make it stand out a little bit more, and I glued two small deep pink heart gems to opposite corners of the banner for a final bit of bling. All done, I added information to the back with my name, email addy, date, challenge and signed the back and then used the vintage photo distress ink on it to complement the front of the card. Now I just have to get it in the post and send it off to the lady who is to receive it and hopefully she'll like it?!

9 comments:

  1. I love the ATC - working to a smaller scale makes you appreciate the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, if that's your second I'm really looking forward to some more ATC's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous ATC, i love the colours and detail, lovely sentiment too

    have a lovely weekend
    Hugs Lorna x

    ReplyDelete
  4. great atc, the stamp is really nice and I love the sentiment, its so true

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi this is a beautiful ATC. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow great atc ... and great instructions too ... hope you are having a great weekend ... happy crafting and love sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful act....just love the stamped sentiment....Joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous ATC. It's just as difficult moving back to making the big things after doing ATC's. Just a tip - you can get 9 ATC's out of an A4 size piece of card - I used to batch cut them ready x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Debs, fantastic ATC, love your gorgeous colours and embossing.
    Hugs Pam x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x