Pages

Wednesday, 7 October 2015

20 Down, 80 - 105 To Go...

Having decided that I was going to make 100 cards for giving to friends and family for Christmas and realising that actually I'll need about 125 if I'm going to have enough for everyone, and have some to give to my local Cats Protection for their November fund raiser, I realised I better get a wiggle on. I little calculating and I discovered last night that I need to make 2 cards per night, 6 nights a week from now until the 12th December! Which left me with an OMG what have I signed up for feeling.

There's other bits and bobs to make as well as we've decided to make homemade gifts again for family. although not sweeties this year, something different with a herbal twist, but those gifts need tags, labels and boxes making. So I'm kind of grateful that the nights are drawing in, that means more crafting time. I will definitely ensure next year I'm card making for Christmas all year round instead of leaving it until October. Although I did try to make a start earlier in the year I guess, when I counted up how many cards I had I discovered with the 3 made last night I had 20 cards made. So all I have to do is make cards 6 nights a week, it shouldn't be difficult and some days, if I make some simple embossed, coloured and bought in toppers I can possibly make 3-4 a night.


I managed 3 last night using the free stamp set and embossing folder that came with issue 145 of Simply Cards & Papercraft, 2 of which are in the photo above. For the blue card, I embossed the image and coloured it with a distress ink blending tool, gave it a spritz of homemade silver shimmer mist and stamped the flying Santa and sentiment in silver embossing powder. I did use distress inks to paint the the church scene but I wasn't very happy with the end result, I think the weather vane should have been done in gold metallic pen or something, so back to the drawing board on that one.

The green deer card in the first photo is the first time I've stamped with distress inks, so far I've painted with them and used them with the blending tool and on the craft mat mixed with water to create backgrounds. I didn't realise you could stamp with them as well, doh! I like the soft delicate water colour effect they create. I did have a second go but I don't think I got the tree ink colour balance right. If these 'experiments' had turned out like I wanted I could have made 5 cards last night.


The above 2 cards were made a couple of weeks ago, I used my Justrite Snowfall Background stamp that I picked up cheap in the January sales, the dark blue was stamped with Blue Sketch distress ink then embossed with Papermania Holographic Embossing Powder and the aqua card was stamped using iZink metallic ink in Metal Green and once again I added the holographic embossing powder. The photo doesn't show the sparkle and shimmer very well, but its there.

The bauble was came free with the September issue of Do Crafts Creativity Magazine and is part of a Papermania 'Folk Christmas' stamp set. I used embossing ink and then silver embossing powder and then fussy cut the baubles out. Once cut out I went over each with distress ink to colour the image, Spun Sugar for the blue cards bauble and Cracked Pistachio for the aqua card. I even made my own card blanks for these two cards using a pad of linen card I got from The Range for £1.99 and a free scoring board that came with a card magazine a while back. Now I just need to find envelopes the right size or learn how to make them lol! There's always something new to learn and some new bit of stash I need to do it :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Debs all your cards are gorgeous. Christmas cards is a massive undertaking but you have made a great start. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards Debs, I started mine in late December last year and still haven't got enough! :o)
    Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cards Debs....good luck making them all!....I do about 60 and only half way there.....Joolsx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x