Pages

Monday, 1 February 2016

Herbaholic By Name...


Crikey February already! Where does the time go? Since I last blogged lots has happened including taking a massive pay cut when work cut my hours from 60 hours a month to just 10, on the plus side I now have LOTS more time to do things like write my book and craft, on the downside there is less money to buy craft stash! But it doesn't mean I can't, thankfully my hubby still has a good job, so its not the end of the world. My wages just helped us do more of the fun things in life, we have each other, a roof over our head and a good sense of humour, we don't need much more :)

We've adjusted spending, started shopping at Aldi which is saving us a small fortune and the good news is I can still keep crafting, I just can't spend as much as I did before, at least until I find another job or my hours go back up. I used the last of my birthday money to buy a ticket to the Hobby Crafts show that takes place next month at the NEC, hopefully I'll bag some bargains, currently spending only a little of my monthly allowance which has shrunk considerably so that I can have some spending money for the event. I must admit I bought the ticket BEFORE work gave me the news, not sure I would have if I'd known, but hey ho, when life gives you lemons.... I can save my allowance and work on using up my stash, challenge accepted. Oooooo I've also been in the local paper! More on that later :)


Enough of the pity pot and on to what I came here for, I've been crafting :) On various sites such as DoCrafts I have the name Herbaholic, because my job and hobbies and what I love to write about involve herbs, I am a self confessed herbaholic, who is fast becoming a craftaholic, so when I get the chance to combine both of my passions its a double win! I love all things to do with herbs, so making cards with herbs on is so totally me, when I learnt last week that Crafters Companion were launching a set of stamps and making dies called Herb Garden I knew I had to have them, as luck would have it I had some books to sell, so I did that via ebay and used the proceeds to treat myself to the set.

My goodies arrived on Saturday morning and I on Saturday afternoon I camped out in my crafting space and set to colouring pieces of water colour paper with distress inks, Barn Door, Tea Dye and Frayed Burlap melded together to make a convincing terracotta colour, which when stamped and die cut and then edged with Vintage Photo distress ink make some pretty cute little pots. I used the same process on more water colour paper using an assortment of green distress inks including Mowed Lawn, Peeled Paint, Bundled Sage, Lucky Clover, Shabby Shutters and Forest Moss to create various shades of green papers. I stamped the herbs on the different coloured papers and die cut them out, the pink flowers on the thyme herb plants were coloured with a Pink Garnet Sparkle Pen.


I confess to getting a little carried away making the pots and herb leaves, I've made about 24 of them so far and have some spare pots and herb leaves still to cut out. I'm so impressed with the way these turned out, I'm going to get the Spellbinders Basil, Sage and Lavender dies out I bought last year and see what I can create with them, first dyeing water colour paper in suitable shades. If you haven't come across the dies before I did a post last year with some photos of the dies, along with photos of some herb cards I made using the Herb Garden images from the Jane Shasky "From the Heart of the Garden" CD, I've made lots of cards from that CD and recently printed off some herb notelet cards and matching envelopes to give as a gift to a friend.

To create the cards I used backing papers from the Jane Shasky CD and I printed off images of pages from the old herbals of Nicholas Culpeper, John Gerard and John Parkinson, which date back to the 16th and 17th centuries. I used distress inks to age the edges of the images and backed them on to Core'dinations card to make them stand out a little, the pots are stuck in place with 3D foam pads, when you die cut the little pots they have slits in so you can push the bases of the herbs in to the pots, I fixed mine behind the pot with some washy tape. I have a several other old herbal book 'pages' to try, I may even scan some of the pages from my copy of Culpeper's herbal, although its fairly fragile due to its age. I'm looking forward to making more of these type of cards though and sending them to my herby friends :)

Oooo yes before I forget, I mentioned I'd been in the local paper... Years ago my hubby, stepson and I appeared on BBC2's Robot Wars with our robot Chompalot a dragon robot, well a couple of weeks ago the BBC announced they were bringing the series back, and as we'd won a trophy and were in the local paper back then, they contacted us to see what we thought about the show coming back and whether we'd like the chance to appear again. The answer was we're VERY excited and HELL YES, we've applied, but so far we haven't heard anything back. Anyway if you're a Robot Wars fan or know somebody that is, you may be interested in reading the interview with the Derby Evening Telegraph, there's a photo of my better half with the tiny working version of Chompie that he's built using his 3D printer. :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Debs sorry to hear about your job that is a shock. Your cards are stunning I love those stamps. We have been watching repeats of Robot Wars I will look out for your robot. Enjoy your week. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic make Debs, sorry about your job! do not think I have seen Robot Wars..
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant cards...love the stamps....Sorry about your job hours but....Think of all the time you will have to craft....Joolsx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x