Pages

Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Fairy Wishes


I hope your week is shaping up nicely? We have sunshine here for the second day in a row, so I've pegged out the washing, had breakfast and after this post I'm off to sow some seeds, and pot up some scented geraniums in the garden. Yesterday I did some spring cleaning and I finally got round to backing up all my PC files in readiness for upgrading to Windows 10, I've been putting it off but it has to be done.

On to card making... I posted these cards on my DoCrafts Gallery last month and got some lovely comments about them, I made them after I'd been to the Hobbycrafts show at the NEC in March where I acquired these days and lots of other stash that will be appearing on my blog over the next few months. I did come away with lots more stuff than I intended to buy, but there was so much inspiration and I found things that I hadn't been able to find before.

For this card I matted a piece of purple centura pearl on to a white 5" x 7" card, on top of that a smaller piece of black card which I'd embossed with a Toga embossing folder I picked up in France last year the design is called 'Feuillages' or foilage in English.

After embossing I rubbed the raised area with Cosmic Shimmer Vintage Lavender gilding wax. The sentiment was done purple foil using my laminator on to a laser printed sentiment - I recently did a post about hot foiling that you may be interested in reading if you haven't already seen it?

The topper is made using the Star Gazing die from the Celtic Dreams die collection that was a joint project by Lavinia Stamps and Imagination Crafts, I picked up two from the range - wish I'd got more - and they cut like a dream! I cut the die from 260gsm black card, which I then I stippled it with Black Starlight's paint, a new paint I picked up at the NEC, and have since added more colours to my range, they are brilliant, see the photo just below this, the pale dotted areas are actually the sparkle you get from the starlight paint, I was truly amazed at the effect from just one light coat. I've been using these to paints to make flowers for some cards, will post the photos soon, the results are sooooo shiny!

Back to the 'Fairy Wishes' card, when the paint was dry, I stuck vellum pieces behind the wings and used Sparkle Pens (Aquamarine & Cosmos) on them to echo the colours in the background. I then stuck the die cut and painted panel that I found in my 'Maybe Someday' box, I often rifle through the box for inspiration and to see if anything I've played with previously fits a current project I'm working on and was thrilled to find the piece below.



As I recall I just inked up a piece of water colour card with Picked Raspberry, Tumbled Glass & Chipped Sapphire Distress Inks, and added some of my homemade silver shimmer mist. I die cut a circle out of the inked piece and glued down the stargazing panel on to it. I stuck the panel to my card using foam tape to raise the topper and then finished it off with some stickles and glitter for the stars. Sadly I can't seem to capture the shimmer you get in my photos, but the card really does sparkle and shine.

To make the "May Your Day Sparkle" card I followed the same format as the "Fairy Wishes" card using the 'Nurture' die from the Celtic Designs range. The embossing folder used is the Docrafts 'Square Gilt Frame' embossing folder  which I used Cosmic Shimmer 'Golden Light' gilding wax on the embossed area.

The nurture die cut is again painted with black starlights, and the wings are vellum coloured with Sparkle Pens (Pink Champagne & Harvest Moon). The die cut is mounted on to a square of cards that I coloured using my ink dusting tool from Inkylicious, I used Memento inks in shades of Dandelion, Cantaloupe and Tangelo and gave the finished panel a spritz of gold shimmer mist.

My glued on coloured panel stuck out over the edge of the die cut a little so I trimmer it to fit. For the sentiment I used the larger of the mini xcut tag dies and I embossed a sentiment that came free with a magazine last year in Whisper 'Mirror Gold' embossing powder. I finished off the card by adding 4 corner die cut from Dovecraft 'Gold' Mirror Card using one of the dies in the Die'sire Decorative Corner Die Set 1. I'll be making lots of variations on a theme using these dies, including some winter ones using white Starlight paint, they are such beautiful dies, hoping to acquire more of them in the future, especially 'Timeless' the design with the cat on.

Right I'm off out in to the garden to sow tomato and herb seeds and enjoy the sunshine, it brightens my mood, I hope the sun is shining where you are and you have a lovely day, thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Debs your cards are gorgeous I love the fairies. I hope you had fun in the garden it is certainly nice to see the sun. Our upgrades to Windows 10 went fine but it is a very good idea to back up your files. I hope it goes well. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debs these are gorgeous, fab colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debs...What gorgeous cards....love the colours and the images...Im still using windows 7...10 is too techie for me....Joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... I'm not surprised the cards got lovely comments they're gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x