Pages

Tuesday, 12 April 2016

Gelli Plate & Fairies

For the past 12 months I've been watching YouTube videos and following blogs of people who are creatively using stamps from Lavinia Stamps. Secretly wanting to have a play myself but figuring that I wouldn't be able to do the stamps justice. Some of the creations of some of the talented people out there using them are breath taking.

I watched the lady behind Lavinia Stamps working her magic with inks and various sizes of gelli plates and again wanted to play. So when I went to the NEC and found the Lavinia Stamps stand I went a bit crazy and bought a total of 17 stamps, a gelli plate, brayer and some card and a variety of other items including liquid pearls and glitter. I watched Tracey creating amazing images with the new cat stamps she released at the NEC and I couldn't wait to get home to try out the techniques.

The photo above is my first ever attempt at using the brayer and gelli plate. I know it wasn't quiet right, for one I didn't "ground" the cat, and there is space at the bottom of the image but it wasn't bad for my first attempt. I admit to not liking the distress inks I used, they didn't give the vibrancy of colour that the Adirondack inks that Tracey uses do, and I haven't got the hang of the liquid pearls and glitter application yet as well, but I'll get there!

I tried again the day after, this time to create a card to enter in to a Enchanted/Fantasy challenge on the DoCrafts forum. The lady gave the brief of creating a project with spring colours of green and yellow and the project had to have a fairy and an animal in it. As I love the Tree Goddess 'Luna' stamp so much I used her again for this card.

At the time of creating this card, I didn't have any Adirondack inks, so I used distress inks again. They work, but they are a lot paler and wishy washy than I wanted, I've since acquired some Adirondack ink pads, so I'll be playing again soon.

I used a square of card to colour on the gelli plate and die cut it with a nested circle die, using the next size up to cut a mat in green core-dinations card. The ivy leaves I made ages ago and were in my "Maybe Someday" box, they're done using shades of green distress inks on water colour paper and then die cut with the 'Small Ivy' die from Britannia Dies.

The Fairy was stamped with Black Onyx Versafine ink, flowers and gems from my stash, I used Memento inks to stamp the foliage and I went over the wings with two colours of sparkle pen in Rose Quartz and Clear to give them some shimmer, the final touch was some dots of perfect pearls dusted with iridescent glitter. The circular topper is stuck to a 7" x 7" card and the green wood effect paper is printed off on my computer from my 'Flights of Fantasy' CD Rom from Crafters Companion.

I was rather chuffed today to discover that my card had been picked as the winner of the challenge, now its up to me to host the next Enchanted/Fantasy challenge, I've picked a theme, just need to decide what I want people to do around the theme.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debs your cards are stunning I love the stamps you have used. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work you have done the stamps justice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x