Pages

Saturday, 30 April 2016

Outer Space Card

It's been a funny old week this week, we've had wind, rain, snow, hail and bright warm sunshine, my clothing wardrobe is dizzy! The weatherman said it was going to be fine yesterday, so I did a wash, pegged it out in the sunshine, and I swear the sky waited until I'd put on the last peg, gone back in to the kitchen and put the kettle on, to start persisting down! Apparently rain showers are on the cards for the rest of the bank holiday weekend, which will probably mean that I won't be able to plant up my roses and do some other big garden jobs, but I will be able to craft instead, so not all bad ;)

Speaking of crafting... I've been hosting the Enchanted/Fantasy challenge over on the Docrafts forum the past few weeks. I chose the theme  "Outer Space" and asked members to create a project of some description that went with that theme, be it aliens, rocket ships, spacemen, moons and planets, or a starry night sky. I added that the project should "include some kind of star(s) be them die cuts, buttons, stencils etc. And use some silver and blue in the colour scheme, any other colours can be added." The challenge ends today, so I'll have to put names in a hat to pick a winner.

My entry actually didn't wind up looking like I wanted it to, but it didn't do so bad methinks, I couldn't get the balance right and I was disappointed with the spaceman die when it arrived if I'm honest, but I was determined to make it work. A couple of weekends ago I was playing with some brusho's and the new Cosmic Shimmer Pixie Powder and made what I thought ended up looking like a nebula background, it came to me then that it would make a nice space themed card.

I made a smilar piece that I stencilled with a butterfly in orange, red and copper tones and the bit I die cut the Saturn shape from was an off cut from that experiment. I used First Editions 'Space Dies' set and cut the 'Earth' and 'Spaceman' dies out in two colours of sugar paper - or as its now called construction paper - and paper pieced them. When I was younger at school, many, many moons ago we called it sugar paper and I assumed it was because it was made from sugar leaves or some part of the sugar plant. Anyway my friend gave me a stack of sugar paper in lots of different colours and I took it out to use on this project. The thought crossed my mind, why is it called sugar paper, so I googled. Turns out that the origin of the term 'sugar paper' lies in the fact that it was once used to make bags to put sugar in for sale! Well I never!!!

I die cut the spaceman from some dark grey textured card I had in my stash and I added a little glossy accents to the helmet visor to give it a more dimensional look. The sentiment is computer generated and I die cut it with a Wplus9 banner die. The silver and blue speckled papers were in my stash of papers and cards and I can't remember were I got them from, the blue glittery speckled card could have come from The Range, I'm not too sure! I finally added some Papermania star adhesive gems in light blue to finish off the design, the earth, spaceman and banner and attached to the card using 3D foam pads.

That's all from me for now, I hope you have a brilliant bank holiday weekend whatever the weather, I want to sort a few things out in the craft room and I have a few projects in mind, plus a couple of cards to create for up coming challenges. Thanks for stopping by and for any comments you leave, I appreciate it :) Debs x

4 comments:

  1. Hi Debs this is a brilliant card I just love it. Enjoy your long weekend. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Works for me,love the created for the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew why it was called sugar paper either! Fab card !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x