Pages

Saturday, 23 April 2016

Starlights Paint

Hello to all the lovely people who read my blog, all four of you lol! I hope your weekend is off to a fine start? I have no big plans, a little gardening maybe if it doesn't rain, and some crafting of course, I have lots of ideas for using all my new goodies, I really must stop buying more stuff until I've used up some of my stash and stop adding to it!

This card making lark and stash buying can get pretty addictive, I picked up a couple of bargains in the Crafters Companion Spring Clearance Sale this week the Flights of Fantasy stamps for 90p each, and a few of the Signature Collection dies for under £3 and free postage as I'm now a silver member of the CC club. Then I went to 'The Range' and found they'd started selling ribbon to match their floral Bronte Charm paper range and they had some pretty rolls of adhesive ribbon with roses on that I couldn't resist.

I hope you don't mind me posting about stash and what I do with it, I just love sharing what I discover, I have to say that I have no affiliations with any of the companies I post about, if I get a product and like it then, for me it makes sense to share that knowledge with others.

So this post is another flash back to my March NEC purchases, this time looking at Starlights Paint from Imagination Crafts. I'd seen the paints on the TV on C&C around November last year, I think it was a demo with Sue from IC painting an MDF Santa Sleigh. I didn't buy any because at the time, I wasn't interested in doing anything with MDF (still not been bitten by that bug) or in to using paint, plus my shiny/shimmer/glitter appreciation hadn't fully developed, it has now mwahh ha ha!

There are currently 28 colours in the collection, so far I've acquired 21 of them, I love them so much and I know that they will get used for lots of different projects, including making die cuts shimmer and sparkle. They'll be fab for winter cards as well as some of the Steampunk designs I'm working on, FYI I used Black Starlights on the die cuts on my Fairy Wishes card post, so you can see the effect via that post. The sparkle apparently comes from the fact that the paints have lots of finally crushed metallic flakes and the flakes are in slightly different shades to the paint colour which helps to enhance the sparkle.

So far I've used the paints wish a brush direct to card, when that was dry - and they do dry very quickly - I used the painted sheets to die cut elements out for future cards (see below). The stencil brush makes adding a thin even coat to a die cut an absolute doddle, I really couldn't get over the sparkle and shimmer you got from just one coat of the paint. Next I want to build up layers and work with the gold, topaz and green coloured Starlights to create a verdigris effect.

At the NEC Lisa Baker, aka Lisa B was doing a demonstration using Imagination Crafts stencils and starlight paints and I was captivated by the sparkle of the paints and the gorgeous range of colours.

There was a special offer on the paints, the stencils and also the stencil brushes, so I bought some of each item. As well as some fabulously bargains on stamps, more on that in another post when I share what I made with them.

Because I bought lots of the show special offers Lisa gave me a piece of artwork she'd been working on. Incidentally the stone wall background in the above card is a done using the Stone Wall stencil from Imagination Crafts, I taped the stencil down and used my ink dusters and Memento ink in 'Potters Clay', after first running the stencil through the big shot using the rubber mat I got from IC. The sentiment on the above card is from the Friendship Sentiments set, also from IC.

I used Amethyst Starlights for the flowers and Emerald for the leaves. The flowers and leaves were die cut using dies from the Crafters Companion 'In Bloom' and 'Leafy Flourish' die sets. The butterfly is a Sizzix die that came as part of the bundle with my Big Shot Plus. I also made some flowers using the Bright Fuchsia Starlights and did a lighter green set of leaves using the Menthol colour, these have been used to decorate other cards and I have some spare for future use.


One of the real bonuses of the Starlights is there flexibility when dry, I painted on to a piece of white stamping card, allowed it to dry and then ran it through the big shot and the paint on the die cuts didn't crack or show any signs of damage. I've embossed pieces of Starlights painted card as well, and again no damage to the paint, its very durable and again that's with just 1 coat.



The texture of the paint is very creamy and it covers really well, and the shimmer you get has to be seen to be believed. Plus they can be easily layered to give two tone effects and also mixed together to make other colours. I've added a YouTube video by Sue of IC showing some techniques including brayering with the paints and using the paint to achieve a gilding effect on MDF.

If you haven't had the chance to work with the paints yet and want to have a go I can highly recommend them, I'd suggest you pick up Pearl (white), Red, Rich Gold (as close to yellow as you can get) and Sax Blue to start with, with those shades you can make shades of green, orange and violet and by adding the pearl white you can get lighter versions of each, if you get Black as well you can make darker shades and achieve a fairly good colour range with just 5 colours. I'm off to play with paint and paper now, enjoy the rest of your weekend and I'll catch up with you again soon :)

5 comments:

  1. Now you have 5....lol
    Those paints look lush, I love the card and the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debs thank you for such a detailed post I love reading about your stash and what things you recommend. The card is stunning. Have a great weekend. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now here's something else I want to try! the flowers and butterfly look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the flowers on your card

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, and lovely to see so much detail in a post. Ax

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x