Pages

Tuesday, 3 May 2016

Bumble Bees and Butterflies Card


You can tell we've just had a bank holiday in the UK, the sun is shining again lol! I don't know about near you, but here in Derby we had grey skies and lots of rain over the weekend, so all the planned garden jobs didn't get done. Today its bright and sunny although not that warm, but warm enough to peg washing out and hope. It's looking like the weather is improving, according to the weather man by the end of the week the temperatures will be around 20°C! I'll believe that when I feel it lol!

As I couldn't do any gardening, I decided to spend some time at the craft desk and made a few cards for challenges I'm taking part in over on the Docrafts forum. The card in the photo was made for the Stamping & Digi Challenge (ending 3rd May 2016), the lady who set the challenge  with the subject "Butterflies & Bees" asked that we created "a project with a stamp or digi as it's focal point and include on it somewhere a butterfly or a bee or both (or multiples thereof)".

As I love butterflies and bees I thought this would be an easy challenge, turns out I ended up going blank until yesterday when I created the card in the photo above. I started by stamping 3 butterflies (although I winded up using just 2) in Versamark ink and heat embossing in 'Black' Cosmic Shimmer Fine Detail embossing powder on to white stamping card. The butterfly stamp I used came free with issue 9 of Crafters Inspiration. Once the heat embossing had dried, I coloured the butterflies in with sparkle pens Dark Orange 'Harvest Moon', Yellow 'Moonlight' and Caramel 'Biscuit', its hard to see the shimmer in the photo but its there.

Once the ink from the pens was dry, I fussy cut the butterflies out, my fussy cutting isn't brilliant so I used a black promarker pen to go around the edge of the butterfly to hide any white bits and the cut edge, this hides a multitude of sins and makes the fussy cut images pop. For the background I used a sheet of paper from a Studio Light 'Weathering Woodgrains' 6" x 6" pad, I picked up from Cutting Edge Crafts last week. I again used Versamark and this time 'Gold' Cosmic Shimmer Fine Detail embossing powder to emboss the largest stamp from the DoCrafts Creativity Essentials Stamp Collection A5 Clear Stamp Set 'Forest'.

The bumble bees are from the 'Flowers & Butterflies' stamp set by a French company called Artemio, I picked the set up on holiday last year. I stamped the bees in Black Onyx VersaFine ink and coloured the wings with clear sparkle pen and added some 'Moonlight' sparkle pen to the body of the bees, it helped to lift them off the paper a little I think. The sentiment is from the Santoro Willow 'Sentiments' set. I stamped it on to white stamping card with VersaFine ink and die cut the sentiment using the medium banner die from the Wplus9 banner die set. I inked round the edges of the banner with Vintage Photo distress ink, something was missing from the card though, I couldn't figure out what then it hit me, and all I added was some fine lines underneath the two words of the sentiment using a black fine line pen.

I attached the butterflies and banner to the front of the card with 3D foam pads et voila it was complete. The card has given me another idea using butterflies for a birthday project for a friend, and I still have a butterfly to use which has gone in my 'Maybe Someday' box for future use. I think I'll made a few more in a variety of colours, I think they'd look good heat embossed in white on vellum as well, but I've not been very successful so far at heat embossing on vellum!

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Debs....love the bright butterflies they go so well with the background....Joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debs this is a gorgeous card I just love it. The butterflies and the bees look fab. Yes today it is sunny down here near Southampton just in time for me to go back to work. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful butterfly card Debs, lovely colours and details.
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fab card, I love the design and the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! Very cheerful. Ax

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x