Pages

Friday, 6 May 2016

First Ever Easel Card - White Swan

This card felt a little out of my comfort zone when I first decided to make it because I've never made an easel card before. I've seen some of the lovely easel cards created by some of the talented people on the DoCrafts forum and I wanted to have a go myself. Suffice to say I'm now hooked, it was a lot easier to make the easel than I thought it would be, and I can see many more of them in my cardmaking future. I plan to make other circle easel cards and also square, oval and rectangular easels.

The beautiful swan photo image on the card I printed off from a photo taken by my friend Marie, who takes stunning wildlife photos. When I saw this swan, I asked if I could use it to make a card, she said yes, it's taken me a while to find the right 'setting' for it, but here it is. I hope she likes it?!

I didn't want to detract too much from the image so I tried to keep the decoration simple and keep to using just white and silver elements from the card. I die cut the easel base from a 6" x 6" card base, then cut out 2 more circles in Centura Pearl Snow White with a hint of silver card. The frilly edge was cut with the largest die from the Tonic 'Regal Circle' die set, which was part of my prize when I became the Facebook Fan for Quick Cards magazine last year. This is the first time I've used the die and it won't be the last! The 22cm Tonic Trimmer and the comfort scissors that came with it have been in constant use since I got them, the die was in my box waiting for the right project to come along, I think this was it!

I digress... I glued the two die cuts in place next, one on the base circle and one on the top circle, then I matted the photo on to silver mirror card. The feather die came free with Simply Cards & Papercraft early in 2015, I used that to cut two feathers from the white Centura Pearl card.

For the sentiment, I stamped in Versamark and used Cosmic Shimmer Detail Embossing Powder in 'Silver Shine', the sentiment and frame around it are from the Just Rite 'Enjoy the Day Vintage Labels Four' stamp set. It was die cut with a die from the matching 'Vintage Labels Four' die set also by Just Rite. Both of the sets were bargain buys in the January sales last year, I've tried using them before but I always messed them up. Using Versamark they come out brilliantly every time, so it wasn't me, it was the ink, YAY!

Wanting to keep the design simple as I said, I decided to finish it off with just a few white pearls from my stash, in hindsight smaller ones would have been better but I only had these large ones in white. I've made a note to buy some more, some cream ones as well for future projects. I've just ordered the new Sue Wilson Special Occasion Happy Couple die and the Ornate Framed Happily Ever After die, I think both of these would look fab on easel cards. I have ideas for a lot of different easel cards bubbling in my head, woodland scenes, fairy scenes, festive scenes and lots more.

2016 really does seem to be a year of crafting advances for me, all my cards before were standard flat oblong or square cards, but this year so far I've started working with stepper cards (a post on these coming soon) and now easel cards. My stamping is also improving and so is my colouring. I can't believe I'm the same person who thought I wasn't crafty just over 18 months ago, the best part of the hobby though is the lovely friends I'm making and the calm creating brings, its help with my anxiety and helps me relax.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Debs this is a gorgeous easel card. You really have nailed it. Have a great weekend. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful easel card Debs, lovely image and feathers.
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The feathers set the stunning image off a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning work Debs, nice touch with the feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card Debs. I can't believe it's your first easel card - looks perfect. I love the design and use of your friend's photo. Hugs, Shabneez xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this card, especially how you used that feather cutting die, I have that one, will remember this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning card Debs....love the shape and the beautiful image.....Joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a stunning card and how fabulous that you have used a photo taken by your friend x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x