Pages

Friday, 13 May 2016

Healthy Me, Mark... Ummm I've Lost Count

I haven't done as much crafting this week as I would have in previous weeks, that's because last Friday I decided to try and tackle my weight issues and get fitter and healthier. My sister-in-law and a few friends have been using a device called a FitBit and its been helping to motivate them by increasing activity. The gadget comes with an app that you can use to track calories by inputting everything you eat, you can track your activity, how much you drink, your resting heart rate - although not all models measure heart rate - and even how well (or not) you sleep.

So last Friday I invested in a Charge HR and the Aria scales that can be used with it to measure body fat, weight and your BMI, by the time we'd got back from Argos and I'd charged the Charge and set everything up it was gone 7pm so most of the day was over, but I still managed to clock up 4,233 steps. That doesn't sound like much but I estimate that on a very good day where I did cleaning and shopping, I would have managed about 2,000 - 3,000 at best. Only managing more if we went to visit a National Trust place, which wasn't happening that often lately I have to admit.

As you've probably guessed from the title of this post, dieting and cutting back isn't new to me, I've been on so many diets in my life that I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to lose weight, from wacky diets like the cabbage soup diet, to Slimming World regimes and a stint on the F-Plan in the 80's. On every diet I've done well, but as soon as I stopped - and stopped I always have - the weight piled back on with more besides. One thing that never occurred whilst losing weight was taking regular exercise, I'm a keep FAT kind of person and not a keep FIT kind of person. At least I was!



This little gadget may well have been the single most important buy of my life, yes even more than my Big Shot Plus! Since Friday I've clocked up 55,617 steps so far an average of 8,395 steps a day. I've pegged the washing out and changed the bed and a couple of other things since taking my daily step count to over 1,086 so far :) I've seen my my resting heart rate come down from 72bpm to 67bpm in just 1 week and my BMI has dropped by 43.7 to 43.2 not a huge difference but its a good step in the right direction.

I have a lot of weight to loose so I've decided to do it in 1 stone increments, and this morning I got on the scales to discover that I was 19% of the way to my first goal having lost almost 3lb this week. Baby steps but this time I'll get there! Never before have I combined diet with exercise and yes I know I'm not jogging or doing aerobic workouts, but what I'm doing still counts as exercise.

I'm getting extra steps up and down the stairs, for example I bring my breakfast upstairs in two stages now, I work at the PC writing so I generally eat breakfast whilst I catch up with emails or browse Facebook. I bring my coffee up first then go back downstairs for my cereal and fruit, empty bowls and mugs go back to the kitchen the same way, first the bowl, then the mug. I've moved the kettle and coffee etc to the bottom of the kitchen about 5 steps further from its original place, not much but to get to the kettle and back now I need to do 10 extra steps, that's for every coffee I make usually around 4 per day, that's 25,550 extra steps per year!

It's not easy, the photo of me at the start of this post shows me with a very red face halfway round a 2 mile walk, it will get easier! I guess I was hoping that I'd lose a little more weight this week, but its not going to happen over night, I just have to keep working at it, I've started with a goal of 5,000 steps a day, tomorrow I up them to 6,000 and will continue to up them until I reach 10,000 steps a day. I'm watching what I eat, having around 1,500 calories a day, so far I've eaten nothing that resembles diet food, I've enjoyed pasta with mozzarella cheese, green thai curry and even ice cream cones. I've just eaten smaller portions, and I'm now having breakfast, lunch and dinner, I used to skip breakfast or just grab a few biscuits or a banana.

It's very early days, but I'm hoping that the Fitbit will help me get there, as a gamer I'm finding it a challenge to beat my "high score" and try and do better each day. It's the game of life and I have to be better at looking after my health and body, fingers crossed it works, for now we're 1 week in and I'm almost 3lb thinner, I have a lower resting bpm and a lower BMI, baby steps in the right direction. This time I can do this and I will :)

3 comments:

  1. Deffo baby steps, haven't invested in a fitbit yet just use Map my run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debs I have a Fitbit too. It has definitely made me more active. Good luck with your new fitness regime. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my fitbit - it certainly encourages me to get out and about much more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x