Pages

Friday, 25 November 2016

Inked Inlay Stag Cards


I mention Jennifer McGuire often and how she inspires me, and these latest creations were achieved thanks to her. I watched one of her blog videos a few weeks ago on making Inked Inlay Cards where she used a Memory Box Grand Stag die to make some stunning and vibrant cards. I wanted to have a go at creating the same effect, and I really liked the look of the Grand Stag die, so I managed to get hold of it here in the UK from MaddyLisa Crafts, it arrived yesterday but I was a bit busy having a lovely day with my hubby celebrating 14 years of marriage to do anything with it.

I'm amazed that I managed to make 9 cards for my Xmas card pile for friends and family today, it would have been 10 but I had a bit of an accident with the stag's horns on one, oooo errr Mrs! Still 9 isn't a bad number in one day methinks. I started out with some white card and distress ink to create some coloured panels shades of Blueprint Sketch, Broken China and Tumbled Glass on the first card right to left, Blueprint Sketch, Wilted Violet and Picked Raspberry of the next, Blueprint Sketch, Mermaid Lagoon and Pine Needles on the third card and finally Pine Needles, Lucky Clover and Twisted Citrus on the last card. When I finished each panel I spritzed them with my homemade pearl shimmer mist to add sparkle.

I followed what Jennifer did almost to the letter, I inked the panels up and then die cut them, it seemed easier to me. I have to admit that I did struggle with the double sided adhesive, Jennifer makes it looks so easy, the problem with it is its very sticky so if you don't get it accurately lined up, tough, what you put on it sticks, if you try to remove bits, things tear which is what happened to one of my inlay panels sadly. There's a fair bit of dye cutting involved but I was happy creating so I didn't mind.

Jennifer added her inlay panels to blank cards which she had matted, when I tried they looked flat and uninspiring, nothing as stunning as Jennifer's. So I decided to emboss my card blanks with what is turning in to my favourite winter embossing folder, the Sue Wilson 'Frosty Swirls' is just so pretty. I've used it several times so far for different designs and I think I'll be using it several times more before the card making season is out lol!


I didn't want the left over bits to go to waste so I stuck them down on to ovals of white card that I die cut and then ran that through the Big Shot with my XCut 'Snowflake Pattern' embossing folder which really added something to the images.  I put a smaller oval of thin craft foam behind each panel and used adhesive pads and a little Cosmic Shimmer glue to attached the panels to the card bases. For the sentiment I die cut  the tag from the Sue Wilson Snowflake Corner Border and Tag set and used a free stamp from the Forest Magic set that came free with issue 159 of Papercraft Inspirations. I used Versamark to stamp the sentiment and Stampendous 'Detail Silver' metallic embossing powder, I added a tiny clear sparkle gem to the centre of each snowflake on the tag and used 3D foam pads and glue again to attach to the front of the card.


Here's a closer look of the inner and outer card designs, for the inlay card I used a tiny snowflake/star stamp and Picket Fence distress ink to randomly stamp stars or snowflakes depending how you view them, on to the card. Finally I took a white gel pen and drew some dots to look like snow. I haven't quiet mastered the technique, but its a start. At the end of the day I'm pleased that I made a total of 9 cards today, I also managed to almost finish sorting out my crafting area, just some stamps left to organise and put away.

Plus I've done some embossing and cutting out for a couple of shaker cards I'm going to make this weekend. Lots of projects planned including a birthday card for my niece and two of my friends who have birthday's next month and I need to start planning out the design for the wedding card I'm going to make for my stepson who is getting married in January, so it'll be a busy crafty weekend, if I can get a few more batches of cards made, it gives me time to be able to concentrate on the special cards :)

2 comments:

  1. They are beautiful cards, thanks for the link going to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Debs you have made so many beautiful cards. I love the design and anyone who receives one will be thrilled. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x