Pages

Friday, 25 November 2016

Just Keep Swimming Shaker Card

Ever since I made my first easel card back in May 2016 I've been hooked on this kind of card and have used it to create lots of different cards for different occasions from Father's day to birthdays and wedding cards. Last month I decided to add a new dimension to my card making and try another technique I've often seen but thought I wouldn't be able to achieve.

You could have blown me down with a feather when I sat looking at my first completed shaker card, and guess what? I think you'll be seeing lots more of these kinds of cards in my cardmaking future, they are not as hard to do as I first thought they were and they give superb results which really does add an extra dimension to the cards I make to give.

I discovered the super Hero Arts Color Layering Goldfish Stamps and die sets back in March 2016 when Jennifer McGuire used them to make a 'Faux Colored Heat Embossing and Window Panel Card' on her blog. Jennifer's blog has been a constant source of tips, information and inspiration since I first discovered her in 2014. As she is American, she uses mainly US releases from US companies that aren't easy to find in the UK, but some stores like Seven Hills Crafts stock lots of the brands that Jennifer uses so its become a lot easier.

The trouble is when the new releases hit these shores, they sell out very quickly, and it took me a while to get the stamps and dies to make this card. I knew when I did get them, I would be making cards for my Dad with them, because he loves fish, I have a Lawn Fawn set called 'Fintastic Friends' to make next years Father's Day card for my Dad as well, and now I have the Zig Color pens it should turn out to be very colourful.

This first card was more a test for the process, rather than a card for someone special, despite seeing lots of shaker card video's on YouTube by lots of different card makers, I wasn't convinced that I'd find it easy, some people have the knack of making difficult things look easy, fooling those of us who don't find it so easy to think it will be.

Yet this technique is a lot easier than I thought it would be, I started out by cutting the easel card out of twin colour card from The Range, I embossed it with a Chevron embossing folder from Crafters Companion and gave it a spritz of shimmer mist. The goldfish bowl panel started as a white panle that was inked with distress inks in Cracked Pistachio, Mermaid Lagoon and a little Blueprint Sketch, when finished I also gave the panel a spritz of shimmer mist.


I stamped the goldfish in three contrasting shades of Hero Arts Bold Inks (Dandelion, Tangerine and Caramel) and used Green Hills Shadow Ink for the seaweed, I then die cut the fish and seaweed out and finally over stamped the fish with Versamark and used clear embossing powder to give the fish a more life like shine. I glued some dome shaped clear gems to the back of the card to look like bubbles and also glued a few of the sequins to the back to not everything fell to the bottom of the 'tank'. I got the sequins from The Range for £1 each container is split in to 4 and has 4 different lots of contrasting colours, I took some from each of the colours and mixed them together.

I die cut 2 circles from my Presscut Die Cutting & Embossing Stencil Round Dies using gold mirror card to make a frame and glued my acetate to it before securing it in place on foam tape. The 'Just Keep Swimming' sentiment is in with the Layered Goldfish stamps and I used a piece of card leftover from making the easel card base, I used gold detail embossing powder and Versamark to stamp the sentiment and then attached it with foam pads, the final touch was to add a couple of the clear gems to either side of the sentiment 'stop' to finish it off.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Debs this is a stunning shaker card. Everyone loves getting an interactive card like this. I love the fish they are brilliant. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a fab card, the fish are great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x