Pages

Saturday, 19 November 2016

Let It Snow Card


I was inspired to make this card after seeing a video by Christine from the Crafti Potential blog, she does some fab cards and is a constant source of ideas and inspiration, the card she made used the Let it Snow set that came free with issue 156 of Simply Cards & Papercraft magazine, Christine used her set to make a snowflake thank you card, I went for a festive card with my interpretation.

I die cut the snowflakes from a piece of card that I'd given the 'Color Burst', 'Pixie Powder' treatment to a few weeks ago and they'd been sitting on my desk waiting for an idea to spark. When I saw Christine's card my mind spiralled with ideas, but I was busy making wedding invitations for my step sons wedding, so all other projects went on hold. I finished the invites yesterday so I'm back to making other cards today.

Like Christine I glued the die cut snowflakes to a piece of card, then I used some small snow flake stamps to stamp snowflakes in between the die cuts using an Hero Arts Ombre ink pad in Mermaid which is a lovely mix of Navy Blue, Teal and Dark Purple. Once the ink was dry I put the panel in to a Sue Wilson 'Frosty Swirls' embossing folder and ran it through my Big Shot to give the panel some texture.

I had some die cut white panels left over from the wedding invites and some purple organza ribbon also left over, so I decided to make use of them and use them for my sentiment panel as the colours went with the colours on the panel really well. I used the Let it Snow sentiment from the magazine freebie and embossed it on to a white panel using Versamark ink and Stampendous 'Detail Silver Metallic' embossing powder, this is the first time I've used this embossing powder and I'm impressed with the results so far. I discovered that some embossing powders work better than others, so far I have 3 go to brands, those by WOW, Cosmic Shimmer and a French company called iZink and now Stampendous can join them. I've just ordered some by Sweet Dixie as well, only had dies and stamps by them before so I'm looking forward to trying them out.

I decided to make another tent fold card and used a piece of purple centura pearl card to make the card blank. I round the bottom corners of the panel and the card blank using my X-Cut corner rounder and attached the ribbon. Once the ribbon was secure I glued the panel to the card and added the sentiment panel with foam tape. The final touch was to add some pale blue and purple tiny gems to the centre of the die cut and stamped snowflakes. I'd never used die cuts this way before, I'm thrilled with the result though and will be making more cards like this in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debs your card is gorgeous I love your design. I enjoyed using that free gift. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic Debs!! Thanks so much for taking inspiration from one of my cards!! :D I love the addition of the smaller snowflakes, and that silver embossing powder looks phenomenal!! :D Thanks for sharing it with me too :D :D :D Christine xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x