Pages

Wednesday, 30 November 2016

Maybe Someday Box Challenge - Day 2


I made another 2 cards yesterday from things in my Maybe Someday Box (MSB) and was rather pleased with the results. I also have 6 other cards ideas to put together over the next few days, plus lots of new dies and stamps to play with, not all is new that I have recently purchased, some of it is things I picked up on my birthday or in the January sales earlier this year and hadn't gotten around to play with yet!


My first card used 2 items from the MSB, the first a cream A5 card blank that I die cut around this time last year with my 'Snowflake Background' die from the Sue Wilson Festive Collection, I had real problems with this die as no matter what I did I couldn't get it to cut completely, the back of this is a bit thin where I had to tease the die cut pieces out, it was really hard to get a clean cut. The piece went in to the MSB because just under where the flower is I ripped the snowflakes as I tried to get it out of the die. I put it to one side die as well and thought I'd come back to it when I had an idea to disguise the tear.

My original plan was to put some vellum on the back and colour the snowflakes in, like I did on the fairy wings on my Fairy Wishes cards. With a tear and part of the snowflake missing, that wasn't going to happen. I decided as I rummaged through the MSB last night that it was high time I did something with the panel, and as I'd been sorting my drawer of foiled and glitter card out, some red mirror card caught my eye. I'd already taken out the MSB some die cuts I did using scraps of coloured water colour card I'd coloured green to make some pine trees and the panel below on card number two, using another die from Sue Wilson's Festive Collection.

This time the Pine Bough die, I did them because I wanted to test out some Cosmic Shimmer 'Diamond Snow' glitter jewels I bought in the sales last year, they looked pretty but in March when I was playing, I was thinking spring and summer and didn't have a use for Winter pine branches. I'd found some red paper flowers in a box that I'd bought before I started making my own flowers, I thought they looked christmassy and if I arranged them just right, they totally hid the tear, and as I'd packed the panel with the red foiled card you couldn't see it from the back either!

As the panel has a blank oval it was the perfect place to add a sentiment and on my desk the 'Traditional Christmas' stamp set that came free with issue 35 of Creative Stamping sits, so I selected the Noel stamp and used Versamark and Whispers Metallic Gold embossing powder, a few red gems in the centre of the snowflakes finished this card off nicely and it took me all of 10 minutes to put together.


The second card took me a little longer, the only thing from the MSB was the green and gold trees panel which was originally 6 x 6, I'd used distress inks to colour the water colour card. Once dry I used my Sue Wilson Creative Expressions 'Birch Trees' Mask with some 'Warm Gold' Sparkle Texture Paste to create the trees. I got bought a few different colours last Christmas by a friend and played with them making different backgrounds, but until this week I'd not used any of the panels!

In hindsight, green wasn't the past background colour and I struggled to think how to make it work, so I left it in the MSB, then yesterday I had the idea that turned in to this card. The plaid patterned paper came from the DoCrafts 'Jolly Santa' paper stack, and I used it to cover a 6 x 6 card blank, I cut the panel down to 4.5cm using one of the dies from the Tonic Scalloped Squares 482E dies, and cut the next size up in gold mirror card to act as a mat.

I cut a piece of white glitter card to 'ground' the scene and used a Sizzix 'Proud Deer' Thinlit die to cut a deer from copper coloured glitter card, the die cut sentiment was already on my desk from some cards I've been making this week, I've taken to cutting extra sentiments and embellishments from card scraps when I'm running a die through I may as well do it a few times. All I need to do was glue everything in place, I did raise the deer panel on some foam pads et voila another card made. At this rate I'll have my total by the end of the week! I have 5 general cards left to make and 9 special family cards, I think though I'll end up making more than I need, which isn't a problem as they can run over for next year, or I can send some extra cards to people I don't normally send cards.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Debs your cards are all gorgeous. You are definitely on a roll. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some great stuff in maybe someday box!
    Love the cards.
    Debs the embossing folder used was either a sue wilson or sheena douglas snow fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali, will check them out, I have a Crafters Companion falling snow one but the one you used looks more realistic if you know what I mean lol! Hugs - Debs x

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous cards, esp love the colours on the stag one. Emma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x