Pages

Monday, 28 November 2016

Snowman Shaker Card


I hope you've had a good weekend? Saturday myself and my hubby Simon we're teaching kids about making robots as part of a 5 week course we've been running at the local museum, its only a couple of hours but the preparation and the travelling to and from the museum in town seems to take up all of the day, but its tremendous fun. It does leave me feeling a little wiped out afterwards, so it was nice to relax today and do very little but craft and we watched a few movies we've wanted to watch for ages.

I was rather pleased today to discover that out of the 70 cards I need to make for Xmas, I only needed to make 23 more to achieve my goal, which came down to 22 by the time I'd finished making this card. I had a very relaxing day, did a little organising ready for putting the festive decorations up and updated my Christmas card list and made a list of the other cards I need to make over the next few months, friends and family birthdays and a wedding card for my stepson for early January.

I also managed to find an outfit for the big day, which also happens to be my birthday, so I'm really pleased. I topped all this off by making this card which will be going to my Dad and his girlfriend, the back panel of this shaker card came from out of my 'Maybe Someday' box, I bought some Cosmic Shimmer Sparkle Texture Paste last year around about this time and when it arrived I played with it on pieces of card using distress inks and stencils, I created a variety of panels but didn't have fully fledged ideas for using them, so they went in to my box in the event that 'Maybe Someday' I'll have a use for them.

There are 4 other panels I found that I now have ideas for, I love delving in that box, I always seem to pull out something useful for a project that I'd created with no real use for, having the box means I can just play with ideas and not have to commit them to a project which means if my creative juices dry up, I can just do anything, if it works and an idea sparks straight away then run with it, if not, but it in the box and one day it will be useful.

The card was made using an 8" x 8" white card blank, the front of which I embossed with my XCut 'Snowflake Pattern' embossing folder, the snowman is from a set is from the Avery Elle 'Be Jolly' set, I stamped about 10 images a couple of weeks ago and coloured them all one evening when I couldn't sleep, I can't do noisy crafting late at night when I can't sleep because I'd disturb Simon. So I've started to stamp lots of images or cut out lots of die cuts that need putting together and late at night I'll colour, glue or blog about what I've been up to. I wrote more about the stamp and the zig brushes I used in a previous post, so I won't reiterate it here.

Putting the card together was easy, I cut the back panel to be wider than the aperture I wanted to use, then added a square of mounting foam to the inside edge, I attached the snowman to the back with a couple of small foam pads and added my shaker bits which I'd bought from Craft Stash the ones I used are a mix of white and clear circles, squares and small clear beads. Once I'd added the bits I put a piece of thick acetate on top of the foam using a little cosmic shimmer glue to make sure it held in place. Then I added a frame I'd cut from a couple of square nesting dies, I ran the frame through the same Snowflake Pattern folder as I'd used on the base card to tie the design together.


I cut some snowflakes using a Lawn Fawn Stitched Snowflakes die and glued them on to opposite corners of the frame and added a purple gem to the centre, for the sentiment I used my Sue Wilson 'Starry Merry Christmas' die which cut from the same card I used to cut the snowflakes. The final touch was to add some ribbon to the top of the card, I have lots left over from making my stepson's wedding invitations so I'm using it up where I can. Just 22 more cards to go, plus the special occasion cards, its going to be a busy couple of weeks, but I'm looking forward to working on all the projects.  For the first time in a long while I'm looking forward to Christmas, I'm itching to put the decorations up and start wrapping the presents, all the present shopping is done, this year I've been uber organised and its paying off. No last minute presents or shopping for present trips to make, hubby thinks I've been abducted hehe! Hope you have a good week and I'll catch up with you soon, thanks for stopping by and for leaving your lovely comments, I really appreciate it :O)

3 comments:

  1. Lovely card Debs the silver makes the image pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debs this is a gorgeous Christmas card I do love shaker cards. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful fun card. Cant beat a shaker christmas card. Emma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x