Pages

Monday, 21 November 2016

Warmest Wishes Snowman Set


These cards came about as a happy set of coincidences and mark my first proper attempts at shading and playing with a new set of brush pens which I've fallen in love with, more on them later in this post. A few weeks ago I created a set of backgrounds using clear embossing powder and Versamark on white cards using a Bo Bunny Snowflakes Clear Stamp Set.

I then used some distress ink in different combinations Broken China, Picked Raspberry and Chipped Sapphire of the pinky blue coloured cards and Cracked Pistachio and Mermaid Lagoon on the bluey green colours. On some cards I added some stamped snowflakes with distress inks and used the circular blending tool to dot circles on the panel to create a kind of bokah effect, it kind of worked!

After I finished inking I cleaned up the embossed images with a baby wipe to remove any stray ink and spritzed the cards with homemade shimmer mist, I looked at the panels and my creative muse decided to abandon me, and the panels were put to one side and wound up in my 'Maybe Someday' box. That box is a miss mash of things I've created but then not got a use for, experiments mostly, but when I need some inspiration I rummage through the boxes contents and something inspires me.

I left the snowflake panels and played around with other projects, I added some new goodies to my stash in the form of the Avery Elle 'Be Jolly' cute Snowman and co-ordinating die set, some stitched layering dies in rectangle, circle and oval shapes, a couple of Sue Wilson sentiment dies like the Warm Wishes one used on these cards and I treated myself to a 24 set of Zig Clean Color Real Brush Pens after seeing the fab results that Jennifer McGuire had with them.



I have to say that I'm totally blown away with them and how easy they are to use, and the stunning vibrant colours you can achieve with very little effort, I followed a tutorial on Jennifer's blog and laid down a little colour from the Zig pens and instead of using a water brush I used a Spectrum Noir Clear Sparkle Pen and the coloured images come out all shimmery which adds something to the images in my opinion. I picked my set up from Amazon for just less than £24, less than half the price some companies charge for the 24 set normal RRP is £49.99 so I was chuffed. The downside is the come from Japan so you have to wait several weeks for them to arrive, but the money saving and the spectacular results are well worth the wait.

I stamped some of the snowmen images on to some Nena Solar White card using Versamark and Cosmic Shimmer Detail Black embossing powder, as I've said previously I've found that whilst I'm learning to colour having a raised edge to an image helps me stay in the lines. I coloured the images with the Zig pens and the vibrant colours I used made me think of the snowflake cards I'd made a few weeks before. I got them out of the 'Maybe Someday' box and to my delight discovered the images went well on the card.

All I had to do was come up with a sentiment I wanted to have some cards that didn't say Merry Christmas on them to send to friends who don't subscribe to the Christian view of the season, so I got the warmest wishes die out, and cut it with some white glitter card I got from Hobbycraft last year. Just putting the sentiment on the background didn't look right, it needed a mat to help it stand out. I tried a few different colours of plain card but nothing looked right. Then I remembered a pack of pearlescent linen card I'd picked up from The Range a few months ago. The colours in the pack were perfect for what I wanted so I used one of the oval stitched dies to cut a mat for the sentiment, glued it all together and was amazed at how well they come out.

I still have some snowmen coloured for other projects, one of which I'll hopefully be working on later today, I have a few WIP's to finish off first, I'd started work on them, put them aside because I couldn't think how to finish different bits, but yesterday I finally decided what was needed. As they're all Xmas cards and that's what I'm working on now I need to get a wiggle on. It's good to be back blogging again, so happy that life is now evening out so I have time to do the things I love.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Debs these are stunning Christmas card I love everything about them the snowmen are so cute. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x