Pages

Sunday, 18 December 2016

365 Plus Days to Christmas - 2017 Challenge

I just about managed to make all the cards I needed this year, but I didn't get any made for the Cats Protection which made me sad. So I've decided that during 2017 I'm going to set myself a challenge of creating 365 or more Christmas items throughout the year, be that cards, gift tags or gifts. I won't necessarily be making a Christmas card every day, some days I'll do batches of cards of the easy to mass produce kind.

By the end of the year I should have more than enough cards for me and to give to the Cats Protection for their annual Christmas Fair, enough gift tags to not have to resort to buying them and some unique gifts for friends and family as well.

Something in me kind of thinks that Christmas cards can only be made from October to December, but it occurred to me today that its my craft room, my craft blog, my time and I make the rules! Besides I have so much Christmas stash in the form of paper pads, dies and stamps it will take me a year or more to get through all the ideas I have.

I think the challenge will also be an excellent way of using up things from my 'Maybe Someday' box, the above project is the first item for the challenge, it uses up the snowman image I made when I did a lot of the images for cards last month, and also some Christmas trees I made well over 12 months ago that just sat in a bag in the MS box.

It's another stepper card, something else I started making in 2016 along with easel cards, I just love the fact that by changing the shape and style of the card blank, it can make a huge difference to the card. The Presscut Stepper Card die I use, comes with the pieces to cut the decorative centre and the side pieces that go on the respective panels, and you can cut the card blank in any colour card you wish. For this card, after I'd die cut the decorative pieces and then coloured them part way with Tumbled Glass distress ink, I then but the pieces in my Crafters Companion 'Elegant Snowfall' folder to give a textured look to the pieces.

I die cut two pieces of white glitter card with one of the Lawn Fawn 'Stitched Borders' dies to make a snow bank and attached them to the base of the card, trimming off any over hand from the edges of the card, and tucked the Christmas trees behind the banks. The sentiment is cut from the some plain white card using the Sue Wilson 'Starry Merry Christmas' die and I gave it a light coat of clear Spectrum Sparkle pen.

The finishing touch was a few white 'snowball' pom poms from my stash, I picked a bag up last year for 49p should be enough to make 15 - 25 cards depending how many I use. My hubby gave me the idea, when I showed him the card, he said something was missing and suggested snowballs, and I think they really do finish the card of nicely!

I certainly have lots of stash to use up and ideas so hopefully I'll achieve my goal, 1 down now 364 to go. I'm actually looking forward to the challenge and at least this way, I won't be panicking and my cards etc will all be made before Christmas 2017, well that's the theory! Lets see how I do!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds a great idea - good luck on your mission!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your card Debs! Wish you lots of luck on your mission for next year. Hugs, Shabneez xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debs this is a gorgeous card. You are so good starting on next year's cards already. I will mostly be making things for our daughter's wedding. I have no idea what will happen about Christmas cards. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x