Pages

Saturday, 31 December 2016

Endings & Beginnings

This will be my last post of the year, and on this last day of 2016, I've been a little reflective. Last night I logged on to Facebook to find that a lady I'd made friends with via our love of cats had passed away. She had been ill for a while, but she was such a brave woman with such a love for her family and cats, never did I hear her complain about her lot in life, she tried to smile when it was dark and scary, she was a beautiful soul. Now I may never have met her, and I couldn't claim to be her best friend but I felt her passing and it saddened me.

This came on the back of another Facebook friend who I am close to having to make a brave decision to have her cat put to sleep when the vet discovered the cat had a brain tumour. It was sudden, it was a shock and my friend was devastated. When you're a cat lover only fellow cat lovers can understand how you feel when you lose your fur baby, to some its "Just a cat" and they don't get it. I don't know what I'll do when my own fur baby is no longer with me, she saved me from myself 5 years ago and has been a huge part of my world ever since.

I was feeling slightly maudlin so I shut myself away in my room, I turned out my 'Maybe Someday' box and found all the elements above that were experiments, leftovers or tests and my eye saw something in all the pieces as I layered them together and I'm really pleased with the way this selection of things that didn't have a use has come together to make a card that I hope will bring comfort to my friend and let her know that I understand.


Whilst I was rummaging in my MS box, I came across some leftover roses that I'd made when I first started playing with my Altenew 'Beautiful Day' stamp and die set. I pulled the bag of roses out and my eye was drawn to a new Darice embossing folder I got recently and hadn't used, its called 'Background Script' and the words are really rather powerful: -

"Love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self seeking. It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

I decided to colour the backgrounds with distress ink in shades to compliment the roses, themselves symbols of love, the ink also helped the words to stand out. Orange rose got the Ripe Persimmon treatment, yellow got Squeezed Lemonade and pink got Victorian Velvet. Each panel glued to a A6 card blank and the leaves glued to the panel. I mounted the roses on some foam pads and finished the card off with some gold die cut 'Love' and 'Cherish' sentiments. They'll make good cards to send to friends in the new year to let them know I love them and cherish their friendship.

2017 I'm going to act more on what my heart tells me, try to be softer and kinder and let those close to me know what they mean to me, life can change at the roll of a dice, seize the day and all that! This time next week will be my birthday, its also my stepson's wedding so there is balance, whilst there are endings, there are new beginnings coming. Wishing you and yours a healthy New Year, if your 2016 has not been so great, here's hoping that 2017 will be better, and that you have much love and laughter in the coming year. Thank you for dropping by and reading my blog and for the comments you leave, it really does make me feel like I'm not so alone :)

2 comments:

  1. Lovely selection of cards, sad news about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous set of cards Debs. Sorry to hear about your friend. Hugs Emma x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x