Pages

Thursday, 15 December 2016

Floral 80th Birthday Card Using Altenew Stamps

I've not been blogging about all the cards I've made which is a shame really, 2016 sort of span away from me more on that in a couple of weeks when I wind up this bizarre and incredible year. In the meantime I thought that I'd share some of the cards that I'm most proud of that I've made since May when I went blog silent.

In 2016 my love affair with stamps with matching dies began, it started with a free set of Altenew rose stamps and dies that came free with Simply Cards & Papercraft back in March and continued throughout the year, the latest set is a Newton's Nook set that I'll be playing with soon! I've collected several of the floral Altenew sets and a fair few cat combo's, some I haven't had time to play with yet but there is much crafting time coming up over the next few weeks I'm delighted to say.

The card that I'm sharing today was made back in June for my favourite auntie's 80th birthday, she's also my God Mother and taught me how to bake and create when I was a child, so I wanted to make her something special. To make it I combined two Altenew sets for the floral arrangement, the pink peonies were done using the 'Peony Bouquet' set and the rest of the flowers were stamped using the 'Beautiful Day' set. I didn't actually have the die set for the Peonies when I made this card, so I fussy cut them out which is why they have no border. I used a die from my Presscut Frames Ovals set for the easel card base which I cut from plain white cardstock and used a smaller size down to create the gold mirror card mats.


The lacy layers were cut from the same white card using two of the dies from my Spellbinders 'Elegant Ovals' set. I used the same gold mirror card for the sentiment and numbers that I used for the mats and used the Happy Birthday and Numbers dies from the Die'sire Essentials Only Words dies to create the sentiment.

The photo doesn't show the gold embossing very well on the flowers, in 2017 I need to work on my photography to enable me to catch my cards in a better light. Trust me though the gold embossing did look good, if I do say so myself and really helped make the finished card. I stamped the peonies using 3 shades of Memento ink Angel Pink (light), Rose Bud (medium) and Lilac Posies (dark). I waited for the stamping to be completely dry and then added the outline stamp in Versamark and sprinkled Cosmic Shimmer Detail Bright Gold embossing powder on and heat embossed the images before fussy cutting them out.

I used the same process to stamp the forget-me-nots and berried greenery from the 'Beautiful Day' set and painted the leaves and flowers with a variety of distress inks that I squished on a stamp block and then used a watercolour brush pen to apply the ink. I can't remember which colours I used though sadly, that will teach me to leave gaps between making a card and blogging about it, for 2017 I think I'll start a makes diary and make notes be them good or bad of what worked, what didn't and if there is anything I'd do differently etc, as well as note what inks/paints/papers I used.

The card was put together using Cosmic Shimmer glue which is fast becoming my go to glue for most of my projects, it dries quick and clear and is makes a super bond, so far nothing I've made with this glue has fallen apart! The sentiment and flowers were added to the card using foam pads to give the card more dimension.

My auntie loved the card, she called me to say how lovely it was, so I was really pleased, I always get nervous sending out things I've made, what I make isn't perfect, and I see the imperfections and assume others will as well, but most people it seems don't see the mistakes, or if they do they don't mention them. More from me soon, hope you have a lovely day whatever you're doing and your not getting bogged down with festive tasks and preperations!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Debs this is a gorgeous card. I love the flowers they are beautiful. Cosmic Shimmer glue is a favourite of mine too. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I couldn't get on with thse stamps but i've got a misti now so I'm hoping to have another go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MISTI's are wonderful things, although I still manage to mess some projects up still even with mine. I didn't stamp too well without it, but I soon learnt that it didn't really matter if you're not 100% with the stamping the images are very forgiving Ali. Looking forward to seeing what you create :) Debs x

      Delete
  3. So very beautiful, just perfect to bring a touch of summer to these dark grey days. Emma x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x