Pages

Thursday, 29 December 2016

Rainbow Splotch Thank You Cards


I love how bright and colourful these thank you cards turned out, just perfect for sending to say thank to people who gave us fab xmas gifts this year, I made a set of 10 all in 1 day, I used my MISTI tool so that I could just line up once and stamp on each card, changing the stamp and going through all 10 cards again. I do like splotches and splatters on cards but I just don't seem to get them right if I do it myself with a brush. I was delighted when earlier this year I discovered a My Favorite Things stamp set called 'Distress Patterns'  which makes lovely splotches and splatters of colour that can be put together in lots of different combinations.

You can see my set in the above photo heavily stained from the inks used, this is a sign of a good quality stamp and despite becoming discoloured, if you've cleaned them properly then the colour won't run. For the set above I used a combination of Ranger Dye inks and Memento inks which gave lovely rich vibrant colours. I did have to stamp each image 2-3 times to ensure the image wasn't bitty with the dye inks.


In the image above I made a set of similar cards as a notelet gift set when I first got the stamp set, for these images I used a variety of Hero Arts Shadow Inks, these are dye inks, they stamped smoother and there was no blotches in the stamped image, but the ink really soaked in to the paper, which made the colours look muted and not as vibrant.

I've found that the Ranger Dye Inks stay bold, they give a really good stamp impression, even on solid stamps like the splotches, the darker colours like the 'Classic Cherry' and 'Grape Soda' do show through your cardstock but not to the degree that the Shadow Inks do. I'm waiting for some more of the Ranger Dye Inks to arrive and I think they will be getting a lot of use in the future. FYI the Memento Dye inks also stay vibrant on the card, they do have a tendency to stamp blotchy though so you need to over stamp several times if you want a nice crisp image.


I used two different sentiment dies in the gift set, one if a Sue Wilson 'Just A Note' die and the other is my Altenew 'Thanks' die which I've used several times since I got it for making thank you cards. The above set which I gave to my friend for Christmas I made the card blanks myself and a little box to hold the cards and envelopes together. I'm thrilled to say my friend loved them which made me happy, I really did get worried about giving people the papercraft gifts I'd made, turned out I needn't have worried, everyone I gave them to had nice things to say about them.

The image doesn't show the details as well as I'd like, but I used a Clear Spectrum Sparkle pen on all the 'Thanks' die cuts which I cut out of black card to give them a lovely shimmer. Then I added dots of 'White Blizzard' Nuvo Glitter Drops to the centre of each of the splotches. I stamped the images directly on to white A6 deckle edge cards which are 225gsm in weight.

I'll be making more cards like this and variations on the theme throughout the year, I may even make a couple of sets for presents again. I did stamp one of the cards with Ranger Dye ink 'Lily Pad' as you may be able to make out in the image above, that's a darker green than the Memento 'Pear Tart' I used on the other nine cards, which is more of a lime green and I wish I'd done them all in Lily Pad now. Point to note for next time!

I'm keeping pretty much on track with the tasks and challenges I've set myself, as well as keeping up with the 365 Challenge and making a few items for that. I've started work on a Wedding card for my stepson's wedding which needs to be done in time for the 7th January. I also have to make a New Year card for a special friend, who for reasons I'll explain when I post the card I couldn't send a christmas card to. Time to go and sort out something to eat now, then later some more playing with paper, its been very relaxing today, we went for a walk in the fog and watched a little TV, other than that its been crafting time. I hope your day has been just as relaxing!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Debs your thank you cards are gorgeous they are so bright and cheerful. Thank you for all your visits and positive comments on my blog. Happy New Year to you and your family. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous Debs! They're modem and bright - my favourite combination. I think I'm going to hunt for the die and stamps. Happy New Year! Shabneez x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful set of fun cards. Happy New Year! Emma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x