Pages

Tuesday, 20 December 2016

Snowflake Sparkle Christmas Set


I saw an article in issue 155 of Simply Cards & Papercraft by Sue Wilson on using the Cosmic Shimmer Pixie Powders and an assortment of Creative Expressions dies to create some stunning cards, the same cards from the article are on Sue's Particraft Blog. I did have all the Pixie Powder colours Sue used which were Midnight Blue, Peacock Green and Teal Wash but hadn't got round to using them. I didn't have all the dies Sue used though, so I used some snowflake dies that I did have which were a combination of XCut 'Snowflakes' and Crafters Companion Die'sire 'Snowflakes' dies and improvised. The end results were similar to the cards that Sue created and I'm really pleased with how they came out.

Amazingly the 6 cards I created above have elements/panels made from 1 A4 sheet of white card that I gave the Pixie Powder treatment to, nothing was wasted, even the trimmings were used to punch small stars from and were used on another card. In all I made 2 sheets but created another set of cards with the other piece.

The photos don't do the mica element of the pixie powders any justice, in real life the colours are stunning. I've since bought more colours plus all the new colours recently released. I'll be playing with them more over the holidays.

I cut the A4 sheet in to 4 x A6 pieces and cut a large snowflake into 3 of them, the fourth A6 piece I die cut 6 smaller snowflakes from. I used the Sue Wilson 'Frosty Swirls' embossing folder to emboss my A5 white card blanks and added a piece of white glitter card to the centre of two of the cards and I full silver mat to the third. I used Versamark and Cosmic Shimmer Detail True White embossing powder to heat embossed a sentiment on two of the cards using a stamp that came free with another magazine. Then I used foam tape to add the pixie powdered panels to the cards and added a smaller snowflake to the centre of the card and a small aqua blue gem to the centre.


On some of the cards I added a die cut 'Sparkle' sentiment in either white glitter card or silver mirror card, this was cut using a die from the Tonic Studios 'Girls Night Out Sparkle and Shine Die Set'.  The snowflakes that were cut out for the portrait cards were used to make a couple of landscape cards, the snowflakes were simply glued to the card after it had been embossed.


It seemed like a shame to waste any of the pieces so I decided to make a third landscape card using the 'waste' panel from cutting the snowflakes for the other cards. I made all 6 cards in under 2 hours which included making the pixie powdered paper. I've already made a few more pixie powder sheets which need to be die cut to make another set, these will go in my 2017 pile. I just love the rich and vibrant results you can achieve from the pixie powders, coupled with the fact that you can also use a small amount to create lighter effects. They team really well with brusho powders and color burst powders as well, more experiments to follow, watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debs all your cards are gorgeous. I do love the colours and the design. Pixie powders and Brushos are such fun. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being the lucky recipient of one of these masterpieces i can say they are stunning, when the light hits the background its magical. Thank you Debs. Emma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x