Pages

Wednesday, 28 December 2016

Tag, You're It!


I hope you had a Merry Christmas, if you celebrate it that is. We've had a few quiet days, which have been very welcome after all the hustle and bustle of the past few months. I've made a few none 365 Challenge cards, a simple 'Cherish Card' I'll share in the next few days. Also a card I made for my brothers birthday which needs to get posted tomorrow as its his birthday on the 2nd January, I'll post a photo after his birthday. I got some lovely crafting goodies for Christmas this year, my hubby got me an assortment of tools including a Crop-A-Dile, a 1" circular punch, some Gansai Tambi 'Starry Colors' pigment paints by Kuretake, and a 48 set of Zig Clean Colour Pens. I've already been playing with the pens today, colouring the images that I glued to a set of 10 tags I've made towards my 365 Days to Christmas challenge.

The Santa and Reindeer images on the above tags are all stamped using an Avery Elle 'North Pole Pals' stamp set and the sledging bunny is stamped with the Lawn Fawn 'Winter Bunny' stamp and coloured coloured with my Zig Clean Color pens. After colouring I die cut the images with the co-ordinating dies, then added some finishing touches, Ruby Slippers Nuvo Glitter Drops to Rudolph's nose and Glossy Accents to the collar and a swoosh of Clear Spectrum Sparkle pen to make the images pop. I added a few white dots with a gel pen on some of the backs of the reindeer. Santa got White Blizzard Nuvo Glitter Drops adding to his hat and coat trim and glossy accents to his boots and more sparkle pen, the bunny colouring was actually coloured with a sparkle pen used like a water brush.

The first few tags I made I stuck some of the images on to plain tags, then I had the idea to stamp a pattern on to the tag to create a kind of tone on tone effect (you can see it better in the gingerbread tags below). I used a stamp that came free with Cardmaking & Papercraft magazine a couple of issues ago and 'Love Letter' Memento ink, then gave the tags a little spritz of homemade shimmer mist. I have to say I prefer the stamped tags to the plain ones, the photo doesn't show the detail very well, it is subtle but it does make a big difference.


Back to gifts for a minute, only because my favourite gift of this year is craft related, I got an MDF rack for storing my Stickles and Perfect Pearls and a rack for holding my Distress Inks, from my brother and sister-in-law, it was decorated with the help of my niece and nephews, a real family affair with everyone doing something. It was just what I wanted as my distress inks were stored in a plastic box which made finding the right colour difficult, so I was blown away with the thought, effort and love that had gone in to my gift, it will be treasured for a long time to come. I've printed off some labels and will be making swatch labels to stick to the side of each distress ink so I can see which colour is which over the next few days. I'd love something similar for my larger ink pads, hubby says we'll look in to getting some laser cut in the new year.

As well as the red tags above, I also made a set of 'Gingerbread Man' tags, I used the same Xcut 'Christmas Gift Tags' frame die as I used above, cutting out 6 tags in cream card. I stamped the Woodware 'Snowflakes and Sparkles' image on the card in my MISTI using Memento Desert Sand ink. Then give the tags a spritz of homemade shimmer mist which I'd added peppermint oil to in a vanilla alcohol base which adds a lovely Christmas candy cane scent to the tags. Granted it will fade by Xmas 2017 but if I store them in a box with some scented pads inside they will remain fragranced and they will add an extra dimension to pressie wrapping next year. In hindsight a ginger scented spray would have been better, note to self has been made lol!


I used an Xcut 'Mini Gingerbread Man' die and some matt gold metallic card to cut out the gingerbread men, and I used a foam pad to attach the die cut to the tag. The set also contains small dies for buttons, a hat, holly leaves and a bow tie so you can decorate the gingerbread man how you like. I decided to add just the bow tie, and a sprig of holly to the upper part of the tag and give it a 'berry' with 'Ruby Slippers' Nuvo Glitter Drops. The tags were finished off with some red and white twine from my craft stash.

With these tags, it puts my 365 total at 20 items so far 345 to go and its not even 2017 yet :) I have done a few more projects, like a set of 'Colour Me' notelet cards but I haven't made the container for them, or sourced the pens I want to put with them so I'm not counting the set until its complete. Even though it will have 6 notelet cards, I'm only counting it as 1 item as its 1 gift on my list. I've loved making the tags and will be making lots more, to be honest I've made tags before by cutting up old christmas cards and I think the term is 're-purposing' them but not tags from scratch and I don't understand why?

They are really easy and quick to put together if you make a batch at once, do you make your own tags at all?  I've decided if I make too many of them for us, they can roll over to 2018 or I can bundle them together for the Cats Protection Christmas Fair.  I'm also going to make some for birthdays and other occasions, I have a few dies for cutting tags including a Tim Holtz set of tag dies and a rather elegant Tonic set that came free with Die Cutting Essentials this month which are begging to be used.


Before I go, I thought I'd share a crafting bargain I got in the sales, my Dad gave me some money for Christmas and told me to buy something for my cardmaking, he didn't have to tell me twice lol! I went in to the Range to pick up some pads of coloured card and they had reduced lots of the Christmas dies to half price or less in the sale. All 3 Sue Wilson Festive dies were on my wish list but I didn't want to buy them at full price and was hoping for a bargain at some point or to pick them up second hand on ebay, so I snapped them up. The other two dies were new to me and I kind of liked them and the ideas they gave me for their use, not bad, 5 dies for less than £23 RRP around £56, I like bargains like that, don't you?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Debs your tags are gorgeous. I am hoping to make tags next year. Well done with the crafty bargains I do love a bargain. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy - fab tags! The dies are such a bargain too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tags and that's what I call a great bargain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x