Pages

Wednesday, 21 December 2016

Year of the Unicorn

2016 has been a very odd year for me and mine, it started with a call from Mentorn Media in January asking us if we wanted to be on the new series of Robot Wars and continued in pretty much the same fashion. More of that in a post I'll add to sum up the year towards the end of the month.

The year seemed to unfold like that pretty much for all of it, things we considered to be just dreams turned in to reality and it all culminated in October when my stepson announced that he and his girlfriend were going to have a baby. Which meant that I was going to become a Nanna, something I never thought was going to happen. In my head step parents didn't become grandparents. But apparently we do and I'm over the moon about it.

Consequently, the planned June 2017 wedding has been brought forward to January and the happy couple now get married on the 7th January which also happens to be my birthday! Not being able to have children of my own, I never thought that I'd have a son or a daughter. I got a son when I married Simon and next month I will finally get a daughter, in-law granted but it's the next best thing, and the bonus is she makes my stepson very happy, what more could a mother want? My future DIL has two children already aged 5 and 7 and we get to be Grandparents to them as well. The whole thing has given Christmas this year some sparkle and magic that had faded as my stepson and my niece and nephews have gotten older, and yes I'm looking at pink and blue baby things waiting to hear if we'll have a grandson or daughter so I can buy a few little things.

When I saw the Lawn Fawn 'Winter Unicorn' stamp and die set I knew that I wanted to make my hubby his Christmas card based around it, he sings that song to me albeit badly every year and throw in the unicorn after the year we've had and it was meant to be. The card base was made along the same lines as the Deer Christmas Easel Card I posted about a few weeks ago, the difference being I made it in to a shaker card for a bit of added sparkle. I die cut two lots of the Lawn Fawn Stitched Snowflake set and glued them to the shaker frame and card base and added a pale blue gem to the centre of each snowflake. I also matted the top and base on silver mirror card that I die cut with one of the Scalloped Circle Layering Die Set dies by Tonic Studios.


I've made some progress on my 365 days challenge as well, I've made the two cards above using Bebunni toppers I printed off from my PC using the Bebunni Christmas Papercrafting CD I got cheap in the sales last year. The backing papers came from the same CD, I'd printed off a lot of the toppers and they were in a box under the bed, waiting to be used. The snowflake panel on the bluey coloured card was in my 'Maybe Someday' box, its a piece of coredinations card that I embossed and sanded but then decided I didn't want to use it on the project I was working on at the time.

The sentiments are leftover from d├ęcoupage sheets, the silver snowflakes were also in the MS box, they were left over from another project earlier this year. The holly leaves were die cut from a die in the Xcut Poinsettia die set, using dark green card, I folded the leaves down the centre to create a spine and rolled a pencil underneath them to create a 'curl'. The final touch was covering the leaves with a coat of Spectrum Clear Sparkle pen, I love those pens so much. The berries were created using 'Ruby Slippers' Nuvo Glitter Drops. I'd made a batch ahead of time so I just had to glue them in place.

The challenge is progressing well, with the two above and the snowman card I posted about the other day I have 3 projects complete and I've sorted out all the stamps and dies I want to use into a box. I've gathered items like backing papers I've printed out, and paper pads I want to use together and have begun work on two other cards with things I found in my MS box. I've stamped and coloured some cute Lawn Fawn Christmas images for other cards, and I've made a start on the gifting goal as well by cutting out a set of 12 gift tags. I need to finish the topper section, glue them together and add some twine or ribbon to them, but its a start.

I've also started making a gift set of 'Colour Me' Notecards after seeing a fab idea on Jennifer McGuire's blog the other week. I'm hoping that I can find some good pen sets in the January sales to add to the gifts, I have some friends that are mad for the adult colouring craze at the moment, so the idea would make a perfect gift for them! The cards have the floral element stamped on them, I just need to add a sentiment and they will be done, I can't decide if I should stamp, stamp and emboss or use a die cut at the minute. I also made a start on a couple of bookmarks, I thought I'd make a card with a bookmark attached and put a book token or voucher inside for some of the teenagers. So even though I haven't got many physical items completed currently, real progress is being made.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debs all your cards are gorgeous. Your year sounds amazing and you have so much to look forward to next year. Being a grandparent will be so special. Have a great day today. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Debs on the little family member on the way, i agree the little ones but the sparkle into this time of year. A new year wedding will be lovely and the 7th of January is obviously a good day as its my brother's birthday too! Gorgeous cards, love the little unicorn. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas. Emma x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x