Pages

Sunday, 15 January 2017

Accidentally Brilliant Autumn Background


I made this card back in mid October last year, but with one thing and another I didn't get round to blogging about it. The background came about after salvaging an experiment that went wrong, but when I'd finished salvaging it I realised I really liked what I'd done.

So many things happened from March to November last year in my life that I didn't have time to blog about what I'd been making but I did still dabble and create when I got the chance. I think my colouring continued to improve throughout last year, and its something I hope to continue to improve in 2017, I'd love to master shading and be a little more confident laying down colour.

The card above started as just a panel, I acquired a stamp and die set in Lawn Fawn's autumn release last year called "Jump For Joy". I couldn't resist, cute woodland animals and autumn in a stamp set, two of my favourite things. I decided to emboss the stamped images with Cosmic Shimmer Gold Detail embossing powder which really helped them to pop and then I coloured the images with Inktense Pencils, and then applied some Spectrum Noir clear Sparkle Pen over the top of to make them shimmer.

I die cut a circle using my Presscut Round Cutting & Stitching Die and then added three layers of distress ink Twisted Citron on the bottom, Rusty Hinge in the middle and Wild Honey on the top and then gave the panel a spritz of gold shimmer mist when I was happy with the blending. To highlight the gold stamping of the images I used two if the same dies to create a frame for the image in gold mirror card.

I wanted to make use of some freebie leaf stamps that came with the Autumn Crafters Inspiration magazine, so I decided to stamp an 8" x 8" card blank using a new Ombre ink pad by Hero Arts the colour is called Ombre Autumn.

The ombre inks are comprised of three strips of ink in colours that designed to give an ombre effect, the autumn one has shades of rich mahogany red, rust and a mustard yellow. When you stamp with them you can achieve other colours as the 3 main colours blend.

I started out fine applying the ink to my stamp and then stamping on to the card blank, but I accidentally stamped in an area I didn't want to and then smudged the ink. Not to worry thought I, I can use the centre panel to hide the mistake, but I made the same error a couple of times, so I threw my dummy out of the pram and randomly stamped all over in temper intending to throw the panel away.

When I'd finished having a moment I put the lid on the ink, cleaned the stamps and walked away, leaving the messed up card blank on my craft desk. I went off and had a cup of tea and came back a little later and the ink had dried and it looked like a colourful leafy panel but something wasn't right. I decided it was down to the fact that there was too much white showing, so I used a blending tool and some Tea Dye distress ink and went over the stamped card. To my astonishment I realised I loved the piece and it was in fact better than the original idea I had! I've picked more of the Ombre pads and love using them, you get a fab multicolour effect with very little effort.

I finished the card by adding the panel to the centre and adding the gold frame, then using 3D foam pads I added the stamped and die cut images to the panel. The sentiment was cut using a die from the 'Justrite Antique Tags One' die set I picked up in a sale way back in Jan 2015, there is a couple of sets of stamps that work with the dies, the one I used on this card is called 'Antique Autumn Tags One', the sentiment words come from the same stamp set as does the decorative border which I stamped using Memento 'Potters Clay' ink, the words were stamped in 'Onyx Black' Versafine ink and I added a couple of small yellow gold gems to either side of the sentiment tag.


Before I go, I thought I'd share a photo of the crafty bargains I got for my birthday last week, I went to Coleman's Craft Warehouse and found some Woodware stamps half price, lots of half price dies and stamps as well. They had an offer on normal priced items so I got some more ink blending tools, some of the Black, Gold & Silver Sparkle Pens, three of the newer colours of Starlight Paints and some Sparkle Medium and some Woodware 'Fluffy Stuff' all of which had 30% of the ticket price. All I have to do now is put them to use. Most of the stamps and dies are Christmas card related which is why they were so cheap, but I'm going to put them to good use.

3 comments:

  1. That background really is fabulous - and what a great bundle of bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi this is a stunning card I love the background you have created. You new stash is amazing. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card and outcome, usually always a way to salvage something and makes us try something else, might not always work but we learn from it and other times you get a beautiful outcome like this. Emma x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x