Pages

Friday, 13 January 2017

One Die, Three Ways

A belated Happy New Year to you all, I hope your year has gotten off to a good start and will continue to be kind and gentle with you!

For myself, I can't believe we're almost 2 weeks in to 2017 and I haven't been able to blog until now! For the first few days I was busily preparing for my stepsons wedding and for my birthday. Then just after the wedding, both myself and Simon caught some kind of nasty stomach bug and I've been rather poorly since Monday!

I finally started to feel well enough to get my craft on yesterday, I've been a real couch potato for the past 4 days, I had no energy, and found I just couldn't concentrate. Consequently the things I had planned to do last weekend for my birthday due to the wedding, didn't happen. Some things like the cinema visit have been deferred to this weekend, so I have that still to look forward to.

It was nice to be able to finally do some crafting, whilst I was ill I'd had several ideas, I really should start a notebook and write down ideas for times when I can't decide what to make! For Christmas I got one of Sue Wilson's new dies that she introduced to her range in late 2016, its called 'Swirly Vine' and it makes really pretty backgrounds for cards. I used the die to make 3 different kinds of cards the first a New Year card for my friend who is under going chemo, over Christmas I was full of a terrible cold that lingered for weeks, I didn't want to risk sending her the germs so I didn't send her a card, promising to send her a cheerful new year card instead.


To make the card I created some Pixie Powder backgrounds on watercolour card, I decided to use a full panel in the centre of this card to show off the sentiment better, so I used the inner square that's part of the pie to cut out the centre of the Pixie Powdered piece as it would have been hidden by the panel. I used the piece cut out to die cut a sentiment using Sue Wilson's 'Starry Happy New Year' die from the Festive Collection. It was glued down and then layered on foam pads on to a piece of Snow White with a Hint of Silver Centura Pearl card, I used the same card to cut the swirly vine panel as well. This card was finished with some adhesive star gems in colours that were in the pixie powders.

I used two sections of the die and cut them in black card to create a card to send to a friend who has just lost her sister, her death was sudden and my friend is having a very hard time coming to terms with the lose. I wanted the card to be black but colourful if that makes sense? So I made a Pixie Powdered background in reddish orange colours because her sister was a lovely warm person and I wanted to send some warmth to my friend.

In the first example I trimmed around the die with my trimmer and kept the edge straight but for this card, I used the largest of the dies from my Tonic Scalloped Square Layering Die set, which just fits around the Swirly Vine die perfectly.

The third card I made today, again I used a Pixie Powdered background I created yesterday, this one had a more pinkish hue to it. I love the vibrant, rich colours you can create with these powders. They'll be featuring in lots of my cards in the future.

This kind was made pretty much the same as the first card, I cut out the centre panel and used it to die cut the Happy Birthday sentiment. That particular die is a from the Crafters Companion 'Butterfly Lullaby' collection. I also added a rose cut from the smallest die in Sue Wilson's 'Blushing Rose' set and used the small leaf also.

I've had this set of dies for a while but only just got round to using it. I'm planning to make lots of rose variations in different shades over the next few days and make more rosy cards for birthdays and other occasions for my box. This birthday card was made for nobody in particular, so it will sit in my box until needed, or it will go to the Cats Protection. The photos don't really show the rich colours and shiny aspect of this panels very well sadly, in real life they really do shine and sparkle.


Before I go, I thought I'd share more of my efforts to get more organised in my crafting space, I've finally finished all the swatches on my Distress Inks, I plan on making a start on adding swatches to all my other ink pads very soon. I've also invested in a couple of magazine racks, one of them now contains my A4 embossing folders and large A4 stamp sets that have come free with magazines. The other is holding my larger die sets that I use for mating and making my shaped cards. So not things I use often are right to hand when I need them.

I just need a few more clear plastic lidded boxes and everything will be better stored and easier to access, I have found it a lot easier to craft by sorting things out. I'm trying hard also to get in to the habit of tidying things away as soon as I finish a project rather than leaving everything in messy piles, how long it will last though is anybody's guess lol!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards, love the dies used. Your craft space is far tooo tidy...lol
    Looks like we both had a birthday last weekend, mine was Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ali :) Belated birthday wishes for the 8th! Mine was the 7th but I was at my stepson's wedding so I celebrated on the 8th :) Hugs - Debs x

      Delete
  2. Hi Debs your cards are stunning I love how you have used that beautiful die. I think I might need to buy that one. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie, the die really is wonderful, I said to Si that it makes the cards look brilliant with not much else. I think the rose birthday one is my favourite though. Wonder why that is lol! Hugs - Debs x

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year to you Debs!
    Sorry to hear you've been poorly but you've made a wonderful crafting start to the New Year. Love the backgrounds you've created plus the dies you've used. You're ahead of me where organising your craft room is concerned - good job! Shabneez xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous set of cards, great use of the die. Sorry you haven't been well. Hugs Emma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x