Pages

Saturday, 11 February 2017

Baby Chest of Drawers Cards

A few months ago, I realised that my stash contained a large amount of dies and stamps for Christmas and birthday's but very little else for other occasions like wedding's anniversaries, new births, new homes and everything else that life throws at us. So I've been attempting to acquire new stash that can be used to make these kind of cards.

Of course wanting to make new baby cards is practice for July when our new grandchild comes along, but in the meantime I can make them for friends and family and also put some in the box of cards that I make for Cats Protection.  I'd seen some cards made to look like chest of drawers on Pinterest I think and I thought they looked rather nice, I dare say they can be made for just about any occasion with the right 'accessories' to jazz them up.

I started by making an A5 tent fold card blank and covered the front with a piece of wood effect paper I'd printed off from my Crafters Companion 'Flights of Fantasy' CD Rom. The colours were perfect for the project, and if I take the jpg in to PaintShop Pro, I can pretty much make any colour I wish. I also covered an additional piece that I then cut down to make the 3 drawer fronts for the card. The cards I'd seen had fancy dies to cut their feet but I didn't have anything similar so I improvised and used an Xcut 'Ornate Frame' die to take a piece out of the bottom and whilst not perfect it adequately did the job.

When I'd finished cutting the shaped bit for the legs and drawer bottom, I decided that they legs were two wide so I trimmed each side down and put them trimmed strips to one side. When I started to assemble the card, it occurred to me that they would make perfect tops for the chest of drawers, so the discarded bit became a part of the card. Before I stuck the drawers in place I decided to distress the edges with contrasting shades of distress ink to define the edges and make them pop a little. In hindsight I wish I'd used more than 1 layer of 3D foam pads to make the drawers stick out more, but that's a note for next time.

Once I'd added the drawers and stuck on some gems in  similar colours to act as the knobs on the drawers, it was time to add the final touches, originally I was going to stick the baby grow to look like it was coming out of a drawer, but it didn't look right on balance. So I decided to stick everything just to the front of the drawers instead. For the baby clothes I used the 'My First Outfit' die set from the Crafters Companion Little Angel range, the sentiments on all 3 cards are dies from the Sue Wilson 'New Arrival' range. I'm happy with how these cards have turned out, I'm going to make more but use some less conventional colour schemes. A card making friend makes some gorgeous cards and the recent baby ones were a revelation, lovely bright cards and not traditional pink and blue. Take a look at Emma's Baby Cards, I was lucky enough to receive a package from her last week with some of the die cuts of the Tattered Lace animal dies amongst other jolly things to colour in and use, it was a lovely surprise.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow Debs your cards are stunning I love the design. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous cards Debs, just love that you have still got the woodgrain showing with the pinks and blues. Knowing me i think the lilac one my fav. I bet they sell well for your charity. Well what a lovely surprise to see my name there in print, thank you for the mention. Hugs Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and I love the shape.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x