Pages

Saturday, 25 February 2017

Knit Me Baby, One More Line

I hope this week has been good for you? Here things are improving, my dear hubby is almost back to normal and will be returning to work next week, my cough seems to be finally fading after almost 4 weeks now, and on Monday we found out that in July our new grandchild will be a little girl, she will be called Evie and I can't wait to meet her! I was so excited that I may have done a little Nanna shopping and bought some cute little outfits for her, and some other bits to add to things I bought when we first learned a baby was on the way. I haven't done much crafting this week, the cold has put my sleep pattern out of whack and I've had no creative mojo or energy, but thankfully today I got some mojo back and put it to good use.

I've been wanting to make matching bookmarks to give with cards I send for a while, especially useful if the card is for an avid reader and crafter. Partnered with a gift/book token they can chose the book they want to read and use the bookmark to hold their page, giving them something more than just a card. So when my latest copy of Creative Stamping (Issue 40) arrived this morning I was inspired to create this card set using several of the stamps from the free 'Handmade With Love' that came with it as well as a couple of stamps from my Avery Elle Made with Love stamp set.

I started by taking a piece of white stamping card that was 12.5 x 12.5 cm and stamped the background using the cable square stamp for the CS mag, I stamped 5 squares using Ranger Dye Ink in 'Lavender Field' and 4 in 'Grape Soda'. The bookmark background was stamped on a piece of white card 17 x 4cm, I was rather pleased with the way the backgrounds turned out, even more so when my hubby thought that I'd used a backing paper for the background. I'm not sure that it would have been possible to achieve the same result without my MISTI tool though, not as accurately anyway.

I used 2 of the dies from the Sew Pretty - Have A Beautiful Day Circle Frame that I used on the Beautiful Day Rocker Card I posted last week. I used a dark purple card to create the scalloped circular frame and the used the stitched circle to create the topper in white stamping card, which I then stamped with the knitting and needles stamp from the CS set using Jet Black Archival Ink. I used a purple Zig Clean Color Real Brush Pen to colour the stitches and 2 shades of grey for the needles. I stamped a sentiment from the CS set, again using archival ink and then added some Clear Shimmer Pen to the image, finally I added a few drops of Grey Mist Nuvo Jewel Drops to the rounded ends of the knitting needles to give them some dimension.

Next I matted the background panel on some of the dark purple card I used for the topper frame, and some lilac linen card and attached the panel to the front of a 6" x 6" white card blank, then I used 3D foam pads to layer up the topper and attached it to the centre of the card. I toyed with adding some die cut buttons and real buttons in shades of purple to the card but they didn't look right so I abandoned that idea and decided the card looked fine as it was.

For the bookmark I used a corner rounder to round off the corners of the stamped panel and backed that on to a piece of the same dark purple card I used for the card matting after rounding the corners of that as well. I punched a hole 1cm up from the base of the bookmark using a 'Fiskars 3mm Small Circle Round Hole Soft Grip Hand Punch', instead of ribbon I decided to use some strands of purple wool to decorate the bottom of the bookmark, which I think finished it off nicely.

I stamped the ball of wool and knitting needles stamp from the Avery Elle set I mentioned above using archival ink and then fussy cut the ball out and coloured it in with 2 shades of purple Zig pens, then went around the edge with a black Promarker to hide any white bits, then I gave the ball of wool a coat of Clear Shimmer Pen. Once the image was dry I used my powder tool and stamped a sentiment from the Avery Elle set that says "Knit Me Baby, One More Line" using Versamark ink, and added some WOW Super Fine Metallic Rich Gold embossing powder. The sentiment incidentally amused me, probably more than it should have done lol! I attached the ball of wool image to the bookmark with some 3D foam pads and the set was complete.

I'll decorate the envelope with some stitching to finish it off, then think about making a few in some different colour ways for my box. I think the design could also lend itself to making baby cards if the background is stamped in pastel ink shades and you add a suitable sentiment like "It's A Girl", it would also make a good thinking of you card for sending to crafty friends. The CS set has some sewing and dress making stamps as well, and and even some DIY stamps that would make super male cards and lots of sentiments like "Get Well Soon", "You Nailed It", "Handmade With Love" and an assortment of relative stamps like Brother, Dad, Son, Daughter etc.

3 comments:

  1. Love the knitting themed stamps, you have used them well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful themed project Debs. I'm really pleased to hear that your husband is better and your cough is almost gone. Glad to hear about your Nanna shopping - not long before Evie arrives! Hugs, Shabneez x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous makes, love the theme and sentiment. Lovely to find out it will be a little girl joining the family. Hugs Emma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x