Pages

Wednesday, 15 February 2017

Star Wars Card Designs

I've been trying to find time to blog about some of the cards I'd made for friends and family last year and so far not got round to it, so I thought that I'd add a couple of photos every now and again to share what I've made in retrospect because I know that lots of people - myself included - struggle with cards for the menfolk. I often wonder why that is, is it because as women we can't think outside the floral box or is it more to do with the fact that you can really only make sporty cards for men or cards that have a nature or DIY theme?

I admit I've struggled when it comes to ideas for my Dad because in my head the only thing that I could do would be a football themed card, but then when I thought about it, I realised that there were lots of options, he was a Teddy boy so rock and roll themed would be good, plus he loved keeping tropical fish and still likes them even though he doesn't keep them. I had an idea a few months back when I used a Hero Arts stamp and die set called 'Color Layering Goldfish' to make an easel shaker card, so I can do a variation on that theme and I have another stamp and die set which contains more tropical style fishes.

For my hubby Simon and my brother choosing a subject is easy, they both love Scifi especially Star Wars, gaming and rock music and of course Simon is very into robots. So its easy to find something suitable for them, and whilst the dies aren't always available it is possible to improvise.

I made this BB-8 and R2D2 card for him for Father's Day off the cats, okay some of you may roll your eyes at that but it was an excuse to do some more crafting lol! I found the images on the internet and printed a few of each off to layer them. The Moon rock background was created using a Crafters Companion Textures Elements embossing folder called 'Rain'. I inked up the folder with Memento London Fog ink and embossed a piece of light grey card. Worked like a charm, the sentiment was computer generated using a Star Wars font.  I created an easel card with black card and silver mirror card mats.

My sister-in-law asked me to make 3 father's day cards for my niece and nephews to give to their Dad for Father's Day, the theme was easy, my brother is a HUGE Star Wars fan, so I decided to use that as the theme and tailor each card to the child.

I decided that all the cards should be easel cards to give me a larger area to work with. The first card I created was for the my youngest nephew the spelling was deliberate, Zach finds farts funny at the minute and he thought the card was most appropriate for his "trumpy bum Daddy" lol!

I used the same embossing folder and technique to create the back panels and the images were found on the internet and printed off then attached to the card with 3D foam pads. I added 5 die cut silver stars which I topped with the same adhesive star shaped gems that I used on the top panel. I stamped the moon using the Altenew 'To the Moon' set and the sentiment was again computer generated.

The second card was created for my eldest nephew Casey to give to his Dad, again I made an easel card but this time chose a rectangular shape. My brother does a rather good Yoda impersonation and he and Casey often tease each other about having big ears like Yoda, so it seemed most appropriate.

I used another Crafters Companion Textures Elements embossing folder this time the 'Lightening' pattern and I went over the embossed area with a 'Clear' Spectrum Sparkle Pen to give the embossing some depth.

Again the image was found on the internet and I printed it off several times and 3D layered it so that Yoda popped off the front of the card. I used a piece of green card to make the easel and then used gold mirror card for the mats and to mat the computer generated sentiment which I mounted in some 3D foam pads. I have to say the photos make the cards look a little flat but they really did pop.

The final card was created for my niece, this time I went with a square easel card and used an a standard white 8" x 8" card blank to create the easel card. For the background panel I embossed a piece of A4 black card with Craft Essentials Creative embossing folder called 'Cogs', then I used a selection of silver, bronze and copper Cosmic Shimmer Metallic Gilding Wax to bring out the details.

I found the cartoon strip style images on the internet and found them amusing Darth Vader daddy teaching his daughter to clean her teeth, drive a space ship and finally admonish his daughter for wearing a dress he thinks is to revealing lol! My niece loved it as did my brother, I matted all the images and the cog panels on to silver mirror card and attached everything with 3D foam pads. Again the sentiment was computer generated and matted in the same way.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Debs your cards are gorgeous I love them all and my family would love them too. We all love Star Wars. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic set of cards, perfect for star wars fans. Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so fantastic and original. My stepson would like any of the Star Wars themed ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous pieces of work for the men in your life!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x