Pages

Tuesday, 14 March 2017

Kind Soul Floral's

I hope you are all well, sorry I've been a bit AWOL the past week in blogland but me and my hubby were busy getting ready to take part in a thing called Robot Day at the local museum and preparing for the final week (for this session anyway) of the Young Roboteers club we've been running at the museum for the past 5 weeks. I've still been crafting in the evening making birthday cards for friends and family and playing with some of the freebie sets that came with magazine's, I just haven't had time to blog about it.

Time is my friend again at the moment so I thought I'd use a little of it to blog about a couple of cards I've made this week so far. I saw Jennifer McGuire use this WPlus9 'Kind Souls' stamp last week and I fell in love with it, I love big bold floral images, so when the WPlus9 latest releases arrived at Seven Hills Crafts I ordered the stamp and the matching die. I have to say that is it was hard to not go too mad with new goodies, but the week before I availed myself of the latest colours added to the Hero Arts Ombre inks and some other dies and stamps. I'm waiting for the new Tonic buildables dies to arrive amongst other things. That said I'm hoping that I can add some of the other stamps from the WPlus9 Beautiful Bouquets series over the next few months, I also have some Altenew floral stamp and die sets to play with that I haven't played with yet.


These cards are really simple but they look so colourful, I'm still having problems with getting the shading right, but I'm having fun practising and love using my Zig Clean Color brush pens so much, if you haven't used them they are a water based pen with a brush tip that makes it so each to lay down colour, I found out about them over on Jennifer McGuire's blog, she's done an intro to Zig Clean Color Pens if you want to find out more.

I have 71 of the 80 colours, I got bought the 48 set for Christmas and they rest of the colours I've picked up as individual pens from Pullinger's an online art supply shop, they sell the individual pens for £1.60 each which is about the cheapest I've found, the order arrived really fast as well. I have 4 colours left to add, I realise that only makes 75 but the other 5 are all grey tones and in the selection of Zig pens I have, I already have 7 grey shades plus black, and as grey isn't a colour I use often, there is no point adding them just because.

When I've seen Jennifer use these pens she recommends and uses either Ranger or Tim Holtz water colour paper or Strathmore Bristol Smooth Paper, none of which I have at present and I the water colour cards I did have are not that smooth. You can use Zig's on smooth cardstocks like Neena but they don't blend as easily as on water colour. Scouting around in my stash I came across a couple of Daler Rowley Mixed Media pads they are 250gsm and textured on one side and smooth on the other.  They are a little cheaper than the Strathmore and Ranger water colour cards and you get 30 sheets in the A4 size, 10 more than Strathmore. I wasn't sure how the DR Mixed Media card would perform with my Zig's but as I have 2 x A4 and 1 x A3 (again 30 sheets) I thought I'd give it a try.

The results are brilliant, I used the smooth side and stamped with versamark and used WOW metallic gold embossing powder on the image, the paper takes the heat well. I did try using some promarkers on the DR Mixed Media but they soaked in to the card stock and bled through the back. So its not so good for alcohol markers, but as Zig's are water based they don't bleed through and the ink moves on the card beautifully. I've used Versafine and Archival inks on the card with good results and also Black Licorice My Favorite Things Hybrid Ink.

Of the two cards I've made so far with this stamp, I think that the shading on the rose is better on this yellow and blue version, than on the pink and purple version, I think the colours merged into each other too much on the pink roses to see the shading properly. Shading and colour matching is something I have to learn, but I'm getting there in degrees. I added pen lines to the centre of the smaller flowers to try to create a look like convolvulus, it wasn't as accurate but you get the idea?


I think that the flowers look lovely edged in gold, and want to work on some more pale pink and peachy shades. I think the floral image will lend itself to lots of different kinds of cards from birthday to sympathy done in the right colours. Both the sentiments used on my cards come on the Kind Souls set as well as one I haven't used yet that says "Proud to call you my friend". The accompanying die (sold separately) cuts around the whole image, it would have been nice if they provide dies for the roses as well to raise the image, if you want to do that you'd have to mask and fussy cut the image but its doable.

Once I'd stamped, coloured and cut my image all I did was take a blank A5 white card, round the corners and then add the sentiments the hello I embossed with the same gold embossing powder I used for the image and the other wording was added with Onyx Black Versafine, I added some 3D foam pads to the image and stuck it down to the card. Quick, clean and simple but very effective if I do say so myself, I've stamped several images off ready to colour when I need some relaxing time. I also want to do some resist techniques by embossing the image in white, and using distress inks to colour the flowers and to also stamp the image on black card and use metallic pens or paints. I see lots of flowers on my crafting horizon :)

7 comments:

  1. Hi Debs your cards are gorgeous I love that is a beautiful stamp. Your colouring is delightful. I have your posts on Facebook about the Robot workshops. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie, that means a lot :) Debs x

      Delete
  2. I've been reading all about the Robot Day and how you weren't included in the publicity! Love your work on these cards Debs - the pens you used are high up on my wish list. Shabneez x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment :) I hope you can get some pens Shabneez, they are lovely to use, I love how you can use them with the shimmer pen instead of a water brush as well. Debs x

      Delete
  3. Bold and beautiful, love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful cards and colours. Certainly cheer up these wet days. Hugs Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous cards....love the pretty image and the colours....Joolsx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x