Pages

Thursday, 2 March 2017

Under The Weather

What a crazy few days we've had here! My Dad's partner suffered a brain aneurysm at the weekend, they operated and thankfully she is getting better by the day, but boy did she give us all a scare! Then yesterday my youngest nephew fell at his gymnastics class and broke his arm in such a funny way that at 10pm last night they were operating on him to fix the break. So yesterday evening I fretted and couldn't settle once again, so I decided to do a little crafting to calm me down and I started making a couple of Get Well Soon cards for my box.

I got these lovely girl and umbrella stamps free with the 'Whatever The Weather' stamp set that came with issue 38 of Creative Stamping and despite having a few ideas for using them, I hadn't got round to using the set until last night. I also stamped a few images from the 'Truly Scrumptious' set that came free with issue 39, a mouthwatering array of sweets and treats stamps, with a fab sweetie jar stamp that in my head is going to house a fairy, well that's the plan!

I think that my colouring is improving, but I'm still having problems shading and getting the colours right, I think I need to watch more colouring tutorials and have lots more practice. I still think what I'm doing colouring wise today is infinitely better than when I first started colouring stamped images a few years ago. However, when I see the work of some of the fabulous card makers out there like Kristina Werner I know I have a long way to go, but I'll get there :) One of the bonuses of keeping a blog is you get to look back at what you've done and you can see your progress and I am genuinely amazed by the progress I'm making creatively.

The biggest thing that has helped me improve is getting the right tools and learning which ink is suited to which media. For example to colour with my Zig brush pens, I used Ranger Archival ink, which doesn't streak or smudge and I find it gives superb results every time. I also use my MISTI tool so if I don't get the full image stamped, I can re-stamp and not have to worry that the image won't be lined up. When I first started stamping - and I've said this before - I used cheap inks and stamps and the results were really rather rubbish, the right tools for the job and good quality materials makes for better results.

Here's a photo of the finished card, I fussy cut the little girl out and created a back panel using the cloud embossing folder and cloud dies from the Crafters Companion Little Angel collection' Adding some some 'Tumbled Glass' distress ink to colour the embossed clouds and background.

I added a layer of green card cut with one of the dies from my Lawn Fawn 'Simple Stitched Hillside Borders' to ground the little girl. The sentiment is from the free set and fits perfectly in the large cloud, its not how I intended to add the sentiment but I think it works rather well. I added touches of gold Nuvo drops to the tip and handle of the umbrella to give it some dimension, and cut a slit in the little girls hands to poke the handle through to look like she's holding it. The final touch, and I may have gone a little overboard with it, was to add some Clear Spectrum Sparkle Pen to the girls bow, raincoat, boots and umbrella. I raised the top of the umbrella on some 3D foam pads and also two of the clouds to add extra dimension. I still have the oval image I die cut to finish colouring and turn in to a card, but I need to stamp and colour another umbrella and I think that image will get turned in to an easel card.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Debs your card is gorgeous that is a lovely image you have used. What a time you have had. I hope everyone is on the mend. My husband broke his wrist and they had to operate now a year later his wrist is as good as ever. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear I hope everyone is on the mend.
    Love the bright colours on your card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree Debs, the more you use a technique the better you get. Love your cheerful cards :) Sounds like a rough week for you with family being taken ill/injuring themselves. Glad to hear they are getting better though. Shabneez x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card Debs....Love the image and bright colours.....hope every is now feeling a lot better......sending hugs....Joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous cards, i hope that both your MIL and Newphew are well on the mend by now. Hugs Emma x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x