Pages

Thursday, 20 April 2017

Wreath of Roses Cards

I think I'll have to change the name of my blog to 'Just Another Floral' or something, I'm sorry but not sorry for the influx of floral images about to come this blogs way but hey ho, its my blog and I'm indulging in a little paper gardening. I blame Tara over at Seven Hills Crafts for getting lots of lovely floral stamps and dies, the latest to fall in to my basket and join my craft stash is this lovely little 'Wreath of Roses' stamp and die from Lil'Inker Designs.

I've discovered that the best way to use this set, is to first die cut the shape, then put the card piece you die cut from and the shape in to a stamping tool like the MISTI, line up the stamp and stamp the image exactly where you want it. I did try stamping first then die cutting but the die is solid so you can't see if you are lining up properly and my image wasn't accurately lined up so pieces got chopped off flowers.

I think I'm having a bit of a light and dark phase at the moment, maybe something to do with the days getting lighter after winter or maybe my brain wants creative contrast. Suffice to say when I make a light version of a card, I can't help but wonder what it would look like if it was done in darker tones?

First the light card, I used two elements from my MSD box for this card, the wood-grain effect panel was done with a Darice Wood Grain embossing folder and was intended for a christmas card background but I decided to go with something else so in my Maybe Some Day Box the panel sat along with the white frame cut from an Avery Elle die set called 'Scalloped Pierced Rectangles', which I confess to being disappointed with because I didn't realise it cut a thin frame, I expected it to cut solid pieces, but hey ho!

The frame from my box even had 3D foam pads on ready to use, I cut it for a card but wasn't happy with the design, so in my box the frame went. I trimmed the wood grain panel down a little and fixed it to a 5" x 7" white card blank and added the white frame. The rose wreath on this card was coloured with my Zig Clean Color Real Brush pens which I adore, I haven't got the shading technique quiet right, but I'm getting there and loving the vibrant results I get using them. I added some shimmer with a Spectrum Noir Clear Sparkle Pen, the effect in real life is amazing, it really does give an added dimension to your creations.

I added a sentiment from the Wreath of Roses stamp set on to a scarp of white card that was cut to fit across the back of the wreath by 2/3rds. As an aside the stamp set comes with 8 different sentiments and the die wreath has the word 'hello' with it. I added the wreath to the sentiment card with 3D foam pads and attached the wreath to the wood grain panel with more 3D foam pads so that the leaves from a couple of parts of the wreath overhung the scalloped frame et voila!

As I pointed out earlier in the post when I make a light coloured card, I'm wanting to make a darker version and this is the darker version of the wreath of roses card. I created the background last week when I was experimenting with Nuvo Mousse -further details can be found in my Proud as a Peacock post from the other day.

To create the embossed panel the shades of Nuvo Mousse used were 'Aubergine' added all over a piece of black card as described in my previous post. Once I had enough coverage I embossed the panel using the 'Rose Garden' embossing folder from Crafters Companion Shabby Chic range. I then used a mini blending tool to apply some 'Peony Pink' Nuvo Mousse to the raised areas to bring out the detail.

I used the same technique to make the wreath panel as I did for the light version, colouring the wreath on this card with metallic gelatos, I bought them last Summer on my holidays but only got round to using them this weekend! I loved the results though so I expect I'll be using them a lot more in the future ;)

I made my own card blank from a piece of the same black card I made the wreath panel from and decided to round off the bottom corners of the embossed panel and the card blank for added interest. I think the end result is rather effective and the light and dark versions of the card have their own merits, but I love the darker version the most. What about you do you prefer the light or the dark version? More from me soon when I'll be continuing to explore my darker side, until then happy creating, keep well and stay safe!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Debs these cards are stunning they are just so pretty I love the flower wreath. I have a stamping tool on order. I can't wait to have a play. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cards, not too many florals for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cards, i agree you can never have too many florals! The kitten number this morning has stopped at 2, both feeding well, can't say my other girls are too impressed by this sudden influx of more furry felines:-) Emma x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x