Pages

Wednesday, 5 July 2017

Faux Mother of Pearl Paper

Greetings dear bloggers, I saw a technique in Papercraft Essentials this week for creating faux mother of pearl paper for backgrounds and embellishments and I thought I'd give it a try. I had to pick up some pearly acrylic paint first, once I had some I started to play.

I'm really pleased with how this card turned out and I've made lots of other backgrounds that I'll be using over the next few days. The finished card is for a challenge over in a Facebook group I belong to the theme is "Things That Fly", I chose butterflies, mainly because the layering stamp set I ordered from China arrived and I wanted to try it out. Most of the card is made with things I've got cheaper than the named brand products. The stamp set is a clone of a set by a company called Studio Light that retails for around £10.99, my cheap set is identical and cost me £1.79 it lines up and stamps really well, I stamped the butterflies with some Altenew Crisp Ink in 'Puffy Heart' and 'Purple Wine' and did the top layer in Versamark and Silver WOW embossing powder.


I decided to turn the finished card in to a shaker card and use another new die set that arrived this week from China its an almost clone of the Mama elephant 'Union Square Framed Tags' set, the original of which would set me back £23.95, I got the set off Ebay for £2.83 saving over £22! The clone die isn't 100% the same, one of the dies used to cut a flap on the tag has a cut edge on 4 sides not 3 like the Mama Elephant die so it cuts a full square out and not a flap. A detail I can live with because I wanted the set for the frame mainly , and if I want to make the tag with a flap I can create a paper hinge :) The frame cuts beautifully and just over 11.5cm square you can use it with the inner frame or just as a thin frame edge, see the photo below.

Back to the faux pearl paper, I loved playing with the pearl acrylic paint, I'll be using it to create lots of inky backgrounds for christmas cards more starry backgrounds and some snowflakes and snowy scenes. The stencils were a bargain China purchase they measure 13cm square and cost £1.28 each, I picked up a star, dots, waves and honeycomb to make inky mess backgrounds with.



To create the starry background and the dotty background I used on the card in the main image I put the stencil on to a piece of water colour card that I'd cut to the same size of the stencil and held it in place with some masking tape, then I used a stencil brush to apply the acrylic paint to the paper through the stencil. Once I've finished I removed the stencil and cleaned it under the tap with warm water, a little rub with my fingers and all the paint came off the stencil. If I'd left it to dry though that would have been a different matter.

I left the paint to dry on the two stencilled pieces and followed the instruction from Papercraft Essentials issue 148, page 75 to create the faux mother of pearl effect. All I did was scrunch up a piece of plastic bag, dab it in the paint I'd put on my craft matt and then randomly dabbed the water colour card with the paint. I left the pieces to dry whilst I created the butterflies, then once the acrylic paint was dry, I added a selection of Distress Inks to each piece. I decided to use the dotty panel to make my card and save the starry sky for a Christmas card I'll be making this week.

I can't believe how effective this technique was,  I'll certainly be making more faux mother of pearl card and using the pearl acrylic paint to create stencilled backgrounds, I've bought some blue, pink, lilac and minty green pearl paint as well as the white, so I foresee lots of pastel pearly backgrounds in my crafting future :) I think the Union Square dies are going to get a lot of use as well for Christmas cards, some will be shakers other will be simple framed windows. I discovered a drawer full of glitter card and paper and foiled card in my stash which I'd forgotten about, so it needs putting to use, as do all those Christmas pads I have.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful card Debs. I shall be trying this technique as I love the effect. Thank you kindly for the tutorial. Shabneez x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debs your card is stunning I love it the butterflies are so pretty. Thank you for the tutorial I will having a go at this technique myself. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful card and background. Emma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x