Wednesday, 21 February 2018

Colourful Monsters

Hi everyone, outside the window its bright blue skies and sunshine, but go outside and its blinking freezing, that said I noticed more of the Spring bulbs are pushing their way through the cold, damp soil which must mean that Spring is in sight? Think I'll dig out some Spring and Easter stamps and dies and have a see if I can create something that will encourage the Spring along in the house.

I posted the other day about having a day off and spending it mostly crafting, I went a little nuts printing off things from CD's to use after Si installed a new DVD drive for me. The old one gave up the ghost and refused to even open anymore, apparently the bearings had worn out that allowed the drawer to open. The shiny new one means I can print things off again with a relish.

I have lots of CD's with images for toppers and backing papers, I've been using papers I print off to make cards for a while now, and I love the fact that if the images are not the right size or colour I can take them into Paintshop Pro and tweak them to get the colours I want.

These two cards are a perfect example, the purple distressed background was a free download - and I can't remember from where! - I decided that I wanted to make the same card but using the different monster toppers in colours to compliment both, but the background paper came only in the purple variant.

So I took the image in to my paint program and tweaked the colour, hue and intensity and shifted the colours over from the warm (red/orange/purple) side of the spectrum to the cool (blue/green/white) spectrum, it worked perfectly and looks almost like it was made to match in the beginning.

The monster toppers are from a "Making Cards for Boys" CD that came free with Making Cards Magazine in March 2017, it has over 120 papers (an assortment of backing papers and toppers) and includes the lovely dinosaur set that came free with the magazine last year. Again I made my own card blanks for these two cards, I can't believe I'd not done this before, I've made stepper and easel card bases so its amazing that I didn't, I really have to stop thinking that things are too complicated because each time I try something new, I realise its not as hard as I think it is!

To create these card blanks I used Lavender and Xmas Green centura pearl card stocks and a die from the Tonic Studios Bowscale die set. I cut the toppers and sentiment circles using the Creative Dies Plus Wonky Stitches Nesting Circles Die Set and backing it with a slightly larger circle cut from a plain circle in the same colour centura pearl that I'd used for the card base.

I'm trying harder this year to make more cards that can be given to male recepients, I find when I create without an intent or project in mind that I gravitate towards making cards for female recipients. So when I enter a challenge or I create a random card I'm going to try putting a male slant on the challenge or making cards that can be given to either a male or female recipient.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Debs your cards are stunning I love what you have created. It is a good idea to have mens cards put by. Enjoy the rest of the week. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great great cards Debs and so pleased you put info of the monsters as I 'HAVE' that cd and not looked at it yet!!!!!!. Now I will thanks to you. 'What am I like putting fab goodies in store and not looking first' NOW I WILL. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some fab images on it Jennifer, I have some cute spiders and bees to use yet :) I do the same buy things or acquire things free with magazines, but them to one side then forget to use them! xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh Debs - these are soooooo cool! My boys and all their friends would love these monsters. Shame I don't have the CD. Oh well, I shall take delight in seeing your creations instead! Shabneez x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic fun cards and images. Emmax

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Debs I reckon these super monsters are perfect for both boys & girls, they have a sort of cuteness about them! They are wonderful and it's great you can change the colours to suit too, that's one thing I'm staying away from, no time to do it all! Steph x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun cards - just love them!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x