Good morning to you, winter is definitely coming here in Derby, last night we had frost and ice forming and the temperature went to down to -1℃ and I got an extra blanket out lol! The colder weather has put me in the mood for making more Xmas cards, so my current projects all have a festive flavour, speaking of flavours there is a Beef Jalfrezi in the slow cooker wafting its aromas in my direction and I have some Christmas tunes playing on the PC so I'm good to go.
I saw an example of this style of card pop up on my Facebook news-feed yesterday and I thought it was amazing, simple to do and so effective and the beauty is it folds flat to fit in a standard 6"x6" envelope meaning you can use regular 1st or 2nd class postage. Assuming that is that you don't put too many embellishments on the card to make the whole thing thicker than 0.5cm!
I got the idea from Sam over at Mixed Up Crafts, if you follow that link you'll be taken to her blog post which has all the details including measurements, tips and a useful YouTube video that walks you through the construction step by step. In her tutorial Sam shows several ways to make the card using different layers and shows examples of cards made for other occasions, the fold/shape is very versatile. I made the two cards up in the blog post here and cut the base and decorative panels to make 6 more cards in the same style, although they are not all circular apertures. I don't want to share photos of those cards on my blog when they are finished, because they will be going to some lovely people that read my blog and I don't want to spoil the surprise 😉
Once you get your head around the positioning and decide in what papers, style of aperture you're going to use the cards are very quick to put together. It was even faster for me because I already had a lot of images that I'd stamped, coloured and cut out, like this adorable little image from the 'Newton's Holiday Mischief' set.
If you look closely at the image you can just see the piece of acetate that the image is 'floating' on
Crafting has been slow the past few weeks with the decorating going on in the background.
Sadly the photos don't do the cards proper justice, the papers I used are from a 6"x6" Trimcraft pack called 'Christmas Wishes' and the ones I've used for the cards I'm sharing today both have glittery, shimmery bits on them. I used another Newton's Nook stamp set called 'Ornamental Newton' and some of the new 'Red Glitz' WOW embossing powder I got from the NEC earlier this month. I finished the card off with 6 gems from my stash which added a lovely little bit of bling to the card.
For my second Floating Pop Card I did a bit of recycling, last year I made a set of gift tags to add to Si's Christmas presents, and I was very proud of the colouring I did with my Inktense pencils, I actually made them in 2016 for using in 2017, I was organised back then lol! So again making this card was quick. I decided to use a flower nesting die set, not sure who made it it was a second hand job lot from Ebay.
I actually matted the panels with the same silver card that I used as one of the front panel pieces and used the same stitched flower shape (I thought it looked a little snowflake like) and stamped my sentiment using some Delicata Silver Shimmer ink. Each of the cards have a plain back panel for adding my message.
Now I just have to crack on with the other 6 and I have about 12 other cards to construct, all I need to do is some embossing and assembling so they should come together quickly. Tomorrow is our 16th wedding anniversary so we won't be getting any decorating done, its all about the two of us, we have a date night planned with a steak dinner and a trip to the cinema to see Fantastic Beasts 2.
On the decorating front the floor is all fixed and no longer squeaks, the electrics are now done and we've sorted a good chunk of the loft out, it needed sorting to allow access to the ceiling bits for adding wall lights and a new ceiling light. So on Saturday we'll finally be ready to fill in holes in the walls, sand down paintwork and start painting the ceiling and woodwork lol!
Over 2 weeks since the job was started and it will be another 2 weeks until its finished, work and doing after school robot sessions are going to take up time, I'm hoping we can get stuff done sooner rather than later though so we can get the Xmas tree up and the house back to normal (not that we do normal in this house lol!) Well that's all for me for today, I need to get some chores done and then get myself ready for a dentist appointment and after that some Christmas shopping, so glad that curry is in the slow cooker for tea!



Oh Debs they are gorgeous I love them both. I do love my slow cooker the thought that tea will be ready when we get back is just amazing. I hope you get everything done that you want to do. Take care. Hugs Jackie
ReplyDeleteGorgeous cards
ReplyDeleteI seem to have missed a lot of your posts lately, not sure why but they are not showing up on my blog feed ... still seeing when you went to the NEC??!! These are a lovely different style of fold, delightful festive makes! Steph x
ReplyDeleteHi Steph, I think its because I switched off blog feed by accident trying to stop bloglovin steal my content. Turned it back on now, so hopefully you'll see posts more :) Thanks for letting me know! Hugs - Debs xxx
DeleteA very happy anniversary to you and Si and many more happy years to come! Loving the cards - will have to have a go at some point. Shabneez x
ReplyDeleteTwo gorgeous cards....love the puddy one....Joolsx
ReplyDelete