Saturday, 8 December 2018

DIY Epsom Salt Herbal Muscle Spray

When my Plantar fasciitis plays up I soak my foot in a bowl of warm water that I've added a handful of Epsom salts (Magnesium sulfate) and a few drops of lavender oil to and it helps ease my foot, and when my back aches from too much exercise or from a long session in the garden I have a warm bath, this time with a couple of handfuls of Epsom salts and essential oils of my choice, I use oils that have warming properties like rosemary, ginger and black pepper which are good for easing muscles aches and pains.

I have a bath blend to share a bit further on, but a lady in a group I belong to wanted something she could use to help ease her aching muscles without having to have a bath or shower, so enter my Epsom Salt Muscle Spray which can be carried around and used whenever you need to. A small caveat before you make and use this spray, if you get it on your clothes the Epsom salts will leave a powdery residue when they dry, it will wash out but it will be noticeable until the garment is washed.

Epsom Salt Muscle Spray


The base for your spray will always be a 1 part water to 1 part Epsom salt mix and you can add your choice of beneficial essential oils, I give two versions below that I find best.

250ml Bottle
125ml Boiling Water
125g Epsom Salts

Then either: -

15 Drops Lavender Essential Oil

15 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil

Or: -

15 Drops Rosemary Essential Oil
15 Drops Ginger Essential Oil

Method: Boil your water in a kettle and place your Epsom salts in a jug or glass bowl that is suitable for boiling liquids and stir until the Epsom salts are dissolved. Once they are completely dissolved set the mixture aside to go cold, once its cold add your essential oils of choice, don't be tempted to add the oils whilst the mixture is hot, the oils with evaporate in the heat and lose their beneficial and aromatic properties.

Pour the mixture into your spray bottle and label it with name and date, then use it to spritz your aching muscles e.g. arms, legs, neck or shoulders.

You can make this spray in any quantity you like the key is to always use 1 part boiling water to 1 part Epsom salts. So if you only have a 100ml bottle 50ml water and 50g Epsom salts. A 500ml bottle then 250ml water and 250g Epsom salts, you get the picture?

Epsom Salt & Herb Bath Muscle Soak


Back pain and muscle problems seem to occur in our house rather a lot these days, a sign of our ageing bodies methinks, and when the lighter days come around and garden activity increases the aches and pains increase as well. Usually after several hours of gardening, I have a nice long soak in the bath with my favourite herbal bath blend from a jar I keep of this bath soak recipe I make up at the start of the gardening season, but its now being used to soak muscles after a long walks and runs (my husband not me, I'm not fit enough to run yet lol).

The mix makes enough to fill 18 bath bags containing 25g per bag, alternatively have one bag and store the rest of the mixture in a sealed jar and add 25g of the mixture to a muslin bag at each bath time.

Ingredients:

15g Dried Thyme
30g Dried Rosemary
30g Dried Lavender Flowers
25g Dried Cramp Bark
25g Dried Peppermint Leaf
150g Oats
200g Epsom Salts
12 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
12 Drops Rosemary Essential Oil
12 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil

Method: Mix all the dry ingredients together, stir in the essential oils and put in a large, well-sealed, glass jar such as a kilner jar. To use, put 25g of the mix into a muslin bath bag or into the centre of a circle of muslin tied up with string or ribbon and hang over the bath tap. Relax in the bath and let the herbs and Epsom salts soak away the aches and pains.

If a long soak doesn’t help and there's pain rather than just aches going on, then make an appointment to see your GP.

Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made to source the most up to date and accurate information, we cannot guarantee that remedies in our articles are effective, when in doubt, consult your GP or a qualified Medicinal Herbalist. Remember also that herbal remedies can be dangerous under certain circumstances therefore you should always seek medical advice before self-treating with a homemade remedy, especially if you suffer from any known illness which could be adversely affected by self-treatment.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Debs this is so useful. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x